Not ADC member, can access discount store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blkdogb, Mar 16, 2009.

1. blkdogb macrumors newbie

If you are not one of the paid Apple Developer Connection members (Student/Select/Premier), can you still access the developer discount store and place stuff in your cart, enter payment, shipping info etc.?

The reason I asked is because I was able to do all the above mentioned steps and then continue to the final page where it has the "Place order" button. It did ask me to login, which I did, but I'm NOT a paid member. It "appears" to me that I was actually ordering products with the developer discount prices.
    Just very curious. Is this normal? Or will they verify your developer status after the order is placed?

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Yes it's normal, but they will go and verify if your ID is an ADC account and if its not they'll cancel the order.

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks - does anyone know if there's a UK version of this store?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yep, sorry. I linked further in than you needed, apparently.

http://developer.apple.com/membership/hardware.html

Click Europe, and there should be a similar page to that previous one thereafter.

7. Batman101 macrumors member

can you walk into the store with some kind of ADC approvel paper and get the discount instead of ordering them online.

8. mags631 Guest

Never tried, but from what I recall, the terms and conditions are very explicit about where you can and cannot get the discount, specifically the discount only applies to the ADC Stores and not to any other Apple stores, including retail.

9. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Afraid not. You need to go through the ADC online store.

10. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

whats the % discount in the ADC store?

Thanks

11. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

The discount looks good - how do they check if you are a student? I am about to graduate and may buy the student membership since its good for a year but I wouldnt mind waiting to see what the updates are in June before pulling the trigger.

12. iBadger macrumors member

100 bucks to join.
    You have to fax them a copy of your license and a copy of your transcript/upcoming classes

13. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

hmmm since I am graduating in a week I guess that disqualifies me

14. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I don't think so. As long as you are CURRENTLY a student. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try if you REALLY want it. Though ADC purchases don't qualify for any promos(e.g. the student promo in the summer).

That's why I debated last year whether to do it this way and save like a hundred or so over the REGULAR student price of a MBP and a free touch or this.

If you add in the membership cost, you are pretty much matching the refurb price of a MBP. So essentially you're getting a new instead of refurb and the benefits of a ADC membership.

:)