NOT AGAAAIN!!!! (mid 2011 HD issue..i think)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chris1184, Jan 25, 2012.

1. chris1184 macrumors regular

So i purchased my iMac around last June when the update happened and then i received the dreaded email regarding the hard drive recall, so i had it replaced, this was right around that time..everything was fine up until now a few days ago my iMac started running like a tractor. It just started making a loud buzzing sound when it runs....kinda sucks. The very original hard drive was almost silent ..the updated one was a little louder till now...anyone have similar story/issue? I hate to keep replacing my hard drives and last time they left a bunch of crap behind the glass screen, so i had to wait an extra hour for them to take it off and clean it again. I wonder if i can just ask them to replace the whole computer?

2. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

3. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

the above fix did NOT resolve my issue...this sucks because i have a feeling the store is going to tell me "it's fine" but unfortunately to me a computer that cost almost 2k which was super quiet before is not ok if it suddenly starts to make weird noises. grrr gotta call apple this weekend

4. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

they ended up changing my HD AGAIN..hope this one runs fine

5. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

so the iMac went right back to being loud again...wtf...im going to call apple in hopes of getting a replacement

6. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I'd start looking at lemon policy if I were you. Try for a total replacement. I hope you get things sorted!

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

im guessing either a heat issue causing harddrive failures or (also) you have something running nonstop that is causing them to break...

try something like istatnano to check temps and check your system using activity monitor...

8. chris1184 thread starter macrumors regular

I have istat nano. Anyone have a link to what the standard/average temps/fan speeds should be?