Not again :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Oct 29, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

A few months ago I got my first 17" Macbook Pro, a replacement to my prior 15" Unibody ( faulty) The 17" got sent off for repair because the hinge kept squeaking/clicking and became very annoying. I sent it off for repair and it came back 16 days later, covered in dust, fingerprints inside and outside the glass, and a few scratches ( sent to a third-party Apple repair centre, Group 8 ). I called AppleCare and they sent me out a brand new unit.

Today I opened my Laptop and it has the same problem, a clicking hinge that is again, very annoying. Am I just been too picky when it comes to 2 month old laptops that develop these issues randomly ? Do you think I should call Apple again and ask for a replacement.

Also, has anyone seen this icon before ( attached ) I've never seen it and just wondered why it came up, after i unplugged the cord then plugged it back in again ( it's charging now )

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The not charging issue seems rather crucial over the hinge issue. I don't know if a click in the hinge is "within spec" or not but that battery issue could be a sign of a logic board issue. I'd take it in but I'd take it to an Apple store if possible.

3. James L. macrumors newbie

When the battery has above 95% charge and you plug the computer to a power source, it will display a "Not Charging" message. When you drain the battery down to a lower charge (like 94% or lower), and then plug it in, then it charges back to 100%. This has just been my experience...

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, I though it could be normal, but I just haven't been lucky enough to see it. The battery is at 89% and charging, I will let you know what happens after 95%. Altogether I have had 5 Unibody Macbook Pro's, 3 x 15" due to graphics, screen bleed and DVD drive problems and 2 x 17", one for the hinge and one for bad screen bleed, now on the 3rd 17". I'm not sure if Apple keep a log of how many Units I've had, by my Name, or would they just be logged under order ID's meaning that If I ring up with this unit, they won't know about the other units as it's a different order ID ( I don't want them to think I'm just a picky customer )

I don't think I want the hassle to get it sent off again, not to mention all the Uni Work I have to be in that is computer-orientated ( CAD )

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

The battery is now, not showing the " Not Charging " Icon, as it is at 99%...

6. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok here's what it sounds like... Pretty similar to a previous one I had, and I'm kinda dissapointed that it's happened again. I have only took my Mac out of the house twice and I'm always careful with my stuff so it's not user-error.

I'm going to call AppleCare and see what they say, also about the battery issue I have too.

Attached Files:

7. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I get that same hinge click every now and again, but seeing as your is constant I would call Apple Care, and on the battery thing, when my MacBook is past 95% battery and is plugged in it says "Charged" so if it is saying not charging, that to me indicates that there is something wrong. I would certainly call Apple Care, tell them what's up, and express NICELY how dissatisfied with their product you are.

8. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

On the Phone now :

So far I have been on hold and through 4 departments in around 40 minutes... Still holding. They first need to transfer my original Applecare plan from my first unit ( HE Plan ). They want me to travel to a Apple repair centre... or I can send it in but that's why I'm on hold.

They certainly won't give me a new one despite the numerous past experience where they charged my card £2k by mistake, then sent me the wrong model, then I had to wait 3 weeks for a repair. So I'm really disappointed, but there is no way they will replace it for me. Even though I told them about my circumstances : far away from a Apple store and currently studying for Uni etc.

Hmm Apple customer Services :rolleyes:

9. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Record Time : 1hr 10 mins !

They said that it will be sent to group 8 who repaired AND damaged my last unit. They said that my case was and I quote " One in a Million, I really do sympathise for you, I'm trying to do the best I can to make this process faster and easier for you"

Well lets look again :

Applecare has been transferred from my first Mac, back 11 months ago when I got the first unit, even though I requested it to be done at least 4 months ago. Now that won't actually go through until at least 1 hour. He said that I should call them back tonight to get it sent off... I said I may call back next week as I have Uni deadlines that need to be met and that I'm kinda wasting my time on the Phone. He said " Call back whenever you are ready to have it repaired" AKA call back when you want to be without your non-scratched Mac for 2 weeks and have it come back with scratches etc. ( yes I am assuming the worse in this case ) So I'm not at all sure what to do really, I mean it would be nice to have a non-crackling annoying hinge but at the same time I don't want to go through the long process of getting it replaced, should the problem persists or it gets damaged like before.

EDIT: Forgot to say that the Rep. told me that the hinge problem is a ' know issue ' though I wouldn't expect it to be resolved anytime soon... I hear that the problem started with the first unibody models so they sure are taking there time to resolve it.