Not All CDs and DVDs mount in finder

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by scottsan, Mar 29, 2014.

1. scottsan macrumors newbie

I use a mid-2011 21.5" iMac running OS 10.9.2.

I re-installed mavericks (not a clean install) to try and resolve an issue with the finder not automatically refreshing, which did not resolve. But now the slot drive does not recognise all CDs or DVDs. In fact, I inserted a blank CD, burned a music disc, and the disk ejected when finished. I reinserted the new CD, but it does not appear on the desktop or in the finder window sidebar. The disk plays fine on my stereo system. So, logic dictates its not a hardware problem. I put in DVD at it appears on the desktop. I eject it and reinsert it and then it doesn't appear on the desktop.

HELP.

p.s.
    any help concerning finder not refreshing would also be welcomed

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

When did you last clean your cd/dvd slot drive?
    The drives get flaky like that when dust and smoke starts to build up on the lens. You can buy a lens cleaner, or make your own.

3. scottsan thread starter macrumors newbie

If the problem is dirt related why does the drive recognise and burn blank media without a problem?

4. Partron22, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

How many will it burn successfully in a row? How long does it take to do thw burn? There's usually error compensation in the burn function so one missed 'pit' doesn't kill the whole operation. Laser output during write is much higher than during read, so you'd expect read to go bad first. Also, if you have an actual bit of dust in there, it's not necessarily going to be messing with the laser all the time.
    You might have a software problem, but that flakiness on mounting disks sounds exactly like an intermittent reading problem. Dirty lenses are a major cause of that.

5. scottsan, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

scottsan thread starter macrumors newbie

Explain this. I purchased a Philips micro fibre brush cleaning CD, which my iMac mounts and plays (it includes audio instructions). I ran it 3 times. But the iMac still does not recognise all recorded music CDs or DVDs.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

As I said, you may actually have a software problem, or it could be some other hardware glitch. Those superdrives don't last forever.

Regarding the Finder not automatically refreshing, you can usually force a refresh by force quitting the Finder using the quit dialog brought up by Cmd-Opt-Esc. The trouble with the refresh is that Apple went from synchronous to asynchronous Finder updates, probably so as to deal more gracefully with networked devices. If your machine is busy doing what it considers higher priority tasks, Finder updates can take a while. Restarting the Finder itself seems good at getting the Macs attention focused where it should be. It's also much faster than logging out or restarting.

7. scottsan thread starter macrumors newbie

what type of software problem?
    My iMac is less than 2 years old - I would think the superdrive should not be dying at such a young age.

----------

I've done further testing of CDs, and the pattern is every store-bought music CD launches, but those I've burned with the computer intermittently launch, which in the past wasn't the case.

8. scottsan thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I used a Phillips laser lens cleaner with brushes.
    I then logged in with a guest account and music CDs I've burned appear in the finder as blank CDs, whereas store-bought CDs work fine.

In my account the same CDs I burned do not show in Finder.

What kind of bizarre situation is this? My iMac is less than 2 years old.