Not all iMessages being delivered/2 conversations with same contact

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by handsomelife, Sep 12, 2015.

1. handsomelife macrumors member

When sending iMessages to a certain contact every now and again she doesn't receive my iMessage, despite my phone telling me it's delivered.

Every so often her iMessages also appear in a new conversation so I have 2 conversations with the same contact.

Has anyone else had this issue and know of any resolution? I've tried disabling and re-enabling iMessage but no luck.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Tell the contact to make sure their phone number is selected under settings-messages-send and receive. It's possible you sometime send a message to their phone number and sometimes their email.

3. segrobja macrumors regular

This happens to me all the time with people. I think it sometimes comes from them being in bad service areas. Like iMessage can't deliver to the cell number so switches to email which then goes through. It's annoying cause I have all these messages that are fragmented. And then trying to explain to someone that they are texting from their email and we now have 2 conversations going is a whole other mess.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This happens a a lot, but I never get a second conversation from it. It just sends it as a "text" in that same thread.

5. segrobja macrumors regular

Thats different. That is them switching between service/no service and it going back and forth between SMS and iMessage.

What I am talking about (and the OP) is when you end up with 2 separate conversations with 1 person because the iMessage starts going to their email instead of their phone number.

6. handsomelife thread starter macrumors member

The 2 convos doesn't bother me that much, I get that with a couple of contacts but it's the random messages not being delivered and having no way of knowing which is really frustrating.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Do you think that is b.c the receiver does not have their number also associated with iMessage? Like I suggested?

8. segrobja macrumors regular

No because then it would've never been able to initiate as an iMessage to their number in the first place

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Well it could be that sometimes it is choosing the email and other times the number

10. py712 macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem. I wasn't receiving some of my messages also. I finally figured out that it was going to my mac in the messages app. I had to turn off my account in the app on my mac.