Not allowed to see Apple news conference live?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rsrchr123, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Rsrchr123 macrumors regular

I was reading a story on CNBC (http://www.cnbc.com/id/38265325) and they said that neither consumers nor shareholders will be able to see it live. I don't know why I was surprised but the arrogance of the move was overwhelming. Shareholders can't even watch it? Crazy. Jobs is a creative genius, but I disagree with Cramer (from the article) about his ability to execute. They've got many things right but their misses are huge. And according to Bloomberg, Jobs was told early on by an engineer about the antenna issue yet still proceeded with it (define of hubris). In my personal opinion, I think Tim Cook will succeed Jobs when he retires and I will be very interested to see how things change once that happens.

I've talked to some of my friends who are loyal to Apple and they agree that what is happening with that company is sad. I read several articles today that suggest that iOS4 should not be used on the 3G because the hardware cannot handle it. Both authors said they experienced significant problems with lag after installing the update - this happened to me too. My phone repeatedly freezes for a few moments after I attempt to do something. The authors also mention that their battery life is nothing like what it was prior to the upgrade. For me, I can leave my phone on the charger all night, and do nothing but refresh CNBC and today, for example, my phone was dead by noon.

I spent my lunch hour looking at the Droid. I'm very intrigued by it. I don't want to give up my iPhone but I may have to. The battery life alone is reason enough, not including the lag. I love the apps I have, but the only other option I have is to get a 3GS, which my AT&T store has told me they still have with the prior OS on it. Interestingly enough, I was in the AT&T store today and the 3GS's on display are ALL on the old OS.

I wish I had never updated the OS. Probably would be much happier now. Don't plan on doing the signal bar issue update that is supposedly out today either. Been burned on updates by this company one time too many.

2. tpabrad macrumors regular

Although the folders were nice, my 3G was definitely happier pre-iOS4. The lag now is horrible although it seems slightly better so far with the recent update.

3. Rsrchr123 thread starter macrumors regular

So there is more to the update than the bar issue fix?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The OP's thread might be a bit confusing.

They're talking about making the jump from iOS3 to iOS4 rather than just this latest signal update.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

No live video should surprise no one. No Apple events/statements have live streams. Why would this be any different?

6. Ghostmayne macrumors member

+1. OP email Jobs see if you can get two front row seats. I will bring the popcorn.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You have got to be kidding me. Apple originally said that 4 was not going to run on the 3G and people bitched up a storm. So they allow it and now you're bitching about it.

BTW you can downgrade a 3G to OS 3.1.3.

8. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

9. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Maybe because it's a PRESS conference? And what does the PRESS do for a living? For Petes sake.

10. Rsrchr123 thread starter macrumors regular

It would just seem to me that if you are having a press conference, that it would be live. When Tiger finally spoke about his antics, the press was there (although that was tightly controlled)...when BP talks to us about the virtues of filling our gulf full of oil, they do it in a live press conference. The cable news outlets would carry it live I'm sure if Apple would let them.

That ***** is sooo old. In general, I like their products and had never considered leaving the iphone until this latest fiasco. A friend who understands the decision was teasing me about how bad I wanted the 4 before it was released.

I'm amused when I watch CNBC et al about how people are still going crazy about the phone. Therein lies the problem. I don't want to hear "Apple is working on it" - I want them to get things right before things are released. If, as Jim Cramer said in the article, Steve Jobs is so good at execution, this should not be an issue. Nobody expects perfection. But get things right and what you don't get right, fix it ASAP. The obsession with this phone despite its glaring problems (and notwithstanding some great features) says more about America than it should. We won't get quality until it's demanded.

Apple's premise for a lot of things is that they know better than us what we need. They should have known the new OS wasn't going to work well with the 3G and ditched it. Or at least give us a chance to go back to the old.

11. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

No they didn't. From the start, iOS 4 did not support the original iPhone, and was supported by the 3G and 3GS.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/live-from-apples-iphone-os-4-event/
    Scroll down to 11:02 AM:

12. AR15MBP macrumors regular

one word for jobs right now....hubris.

13. SuperDuper-C macrumors member

I agree with the principle of darngooddesign's comment. Enough people kicked up a fuss about fragmentation and the original iPhone not running 4.0, if Apple had of excluded the 3G also, an even greater number of people would have moaned and lamented about it.

14. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I think the press con should be given by the two a holes from SNL.