Not Another Battery Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nowiveseen, Dec 17, 2009.

1. nowiveseen macrumors newbie

I looked over all the previous threads and I think it's clear to me now how to use the battery, but I had one minor question:

I'm a college student, and I'm on my macbook (new white one) constantly. So I easily go from 100% to 20% at least twice a day.

My question is, should I just run the computer on battery from 100% to 20% once a day, and then keep it plugged in for the rest of time? Then it'd be on battery for like 4-7 hours per day, and then plugged in 6-8 hours a day.

2. manimalfully macrumors newbie

I want to know this too! bump.

wow, i do eaxactly what you stated. I charge my battery to 100% and then let it run down to 20% and then recharge again. The thing is though that I immediately unplug the laptop as soon as it gets to 100%, I use up like 2 loadcycles though as opposed to 1 loadcycle everyday..

So, I want to know whether it'd be better to only let the macbook drain to 20% only once per day and then keep it charged. It would be less loadcycles! (I have a macbookpro, but it has the same batteries as the new macbook you got so...)

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't really matter. You bought a computer to use it, not to fuss over an easily replaceable battery that isn't going to significantly degrade if you use it normally.

4. nowiveseen thread starter macrumors newbie

It's certainly not an 'easily replaceable battery', it's in-built and it costs $130 to replace and has to be done by apple. Sorry if I sound like I'm making a 'fuss over' it, I'm just asking because somebody's answer can have me using up half as many load cycles in 2 years.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Omg, it's built-in??????????????????? :eek: SINCE WHEN????

Do you know why it's built in? Because most people will never have a need to replace it. Even if you're in the small minority that does end up having to replace your battery, $130 and 20 minutes at an Apple store or AARC is the same for what you'd pay for a second "replaceable" battery if your machine had one. I repeat: it's not going to matter how many load cycles you put on it. The number of battery threads that get posted on these forums is ridiculous compared to the number of actual issues people will experience (or are experiencing).

It's not going to hurt your battery to plug it in if you're near an outlet.

6. nowiveseen thread starter macrumors newbie

hahah, i will take your word, thanks for the help man.

sorry if i caused you to get angry, if i had seen you're a demi-god, then I would've replied a bit more courteously. my apologies.