Not another blu-ray thread

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fluidedge, Apr 7, 2008.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

but it is sorry,

Seriously now though the 'war' is all over and there are people who need to author and create blu-ray. Seriously, WFT are we waiting for.

I don't buy the whole 'downloads are the way forward' thing - the mac pro is used by many to create video content and blu-ray is (going to be) a huge format regardless of how Apple want to shape the future.

Are we simply waiting for an update to DVD Studio Pro/Final Cut Studio suite to enable all this? I guess Quicktime and DVD Player would both have to be updated too? Quicktime 8 due anytime soon?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

There aren't any Blu-Ray viewing software for OS X. The only authoring software options are Toast and Adobe Encore. So yeah, we need a DVD Player update, probably a QT update, a Cinema Display update (to support HDCP), and a DVD SP update. Plus burners need to really come down in price (discs too).

3. SilverL macrumors member

I just bought a SATA BluRay Burner for $279 a short while ago.
    Going to install it tonight to the ODD SATA ports and see if things work well. If not, I might have to use my Sonnet eSATA card to run it in both OS X and in Bootcamp since the latter doesn't see the ODD ports anyway.

4. SilverL macrumors member

Looks like burning DVDs is fine and burning a BD from Finder is also fine.
    Not much luck with Toast Titanium so far though.

5. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

And the video cards; They need to be HDCP enabled also, not just the GPU chip but also the board. Then what about the OS? Doesn't that need to be HDCP "enabled" at the driver level? It's looking as if HD support will turn OS X into Vista, the OS that DRM built.

I hereby wash my hands of Blu-Ray.

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I don't know of any Blu-Ray disc solution for viewing Blu-Ray disc HJD media on any Mac, running Mac OS X.

You can download 1080i and 1080p clips from a few sites on the net to try out, they use H.264 and view great on any G5 or intel Mac.

-Ward

7. reusman macrumors newbie

Updated DVD Studio to Support BLU?

I was on the Apple site today and their entire Final Cut Studio site has changed. Under the DVD Studio Pro tab, one can see this screen shot:

[​IMG]

Notice how it asks users to define the media type: Red Laser or Blue Laser

Is this new? Is this a hint that BluRay is coming soon...?

THOUGHTS?

DVD Studio Pro Website

8. toke lahti macrumors 68000

I is new and promising an update soon... hopefully not upgrade where you have to pay more again. I just upgraded to FCS2...

It stills says: "Author HD DVDs using SD and HD assets" in DvdSP's specs...

Bit suspicious that they have removed all GPU's from specs... it doesn't even say what you need for Color...

There will be "Latest about Final Cut Studio" from Apple's Richard Townhill in FCPUG supermeet on 16th. Maybe there really will be something new...

9. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Unless I'm mistaken, don't people's monitors have to be HDCP-ready too? ACDs are not, right?

10. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Correct!

11. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Yikes, Apple has a lot of work to do to get blu ray going. I sure wouldn't be happy if I naïvely bought a new Mac Pro and ACD today and found out in 6 months that if I wanted to watch blu-ray movies, on top of a blu-ray drive, I'd need to buy a new video card and a new HD display.

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

WWDC would be a nice place to announce Blu-Ray and new ACD's since video producers are developers too.

13. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

ACD are long overdue for refresh, adding HDCP would be a great thing to add.