Not another "MBP or..." Question!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bomelon, May 4, 2009.

1. bomelon macrumors newbie

Well, I'm looking into getting a Macbook soon, and right now, I'm leaning towards the 2.4 MBP.

Currently, I use my computer for the regular stuff: word-processing, web-surfing, but also loads of Photoshop and InDesign (more often that not with multiple projects/spreads open). I'm a student, and I might also be going into a program requiring more graphic work, probably dabbling in Final Cut (I'll probably play around with this this regardless...), Maya, and most of the Adobe Suite. I'm looking to get around at least 3-4 years, so I want this to at least get me through the majority of school using more intensive programs than the average user...

Any thoughts? Would the 2.4 MBP be suitable for my needs, or is it a little overkill... or under?

Thanks!

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

For 4 years lifespan, including futureproofing, with Final Cut Pro and Adobe suite?

Refurbished 2.66 Unibody Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, direct from Apple

Enjoy

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

agreed for a single machine. but for the rather heavy duty stuff you want to do, i'd be seriously questioning how portable i need to be. consider hackintosh netbook or macbook plus a recent model imac?

4. RatVega macrumors member

As long as you're just "dabbling" either of the above laptops are capable of running Final Cut Studio and probably the other mentioned apps. However, you're going to need additional external storage pretty much no matter what you do. Garden-variety DV consumes about 13GB/hour, HD can eat as much as 400GB/hour depending on format.

Your graphics card will throttle the performance of a several apps (like Motion and Color) and you should be OK with 4GB RAM except in After Effects.

If you lean very hard on your MacBook Pro, you'll start to see why although many people cut video on a laptop, very few try to run the complete post-production gamut there. Plan on moving serious work to a MacPro for completion.

5. bomelon thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked out Apple's refurb site, and they have the 2.53 MBP with 320 HD and 4GB ram for $100 more than a new 2.4. My only concern is, well, that I'm picky, and I think I'd be disappointed if it came with even a minor scratch (I know, I know), but I'm thinking that most of these 2.53s would be brand new since they scrapped them for the 2.66s in March? Either way, I'm a little hesitant :S

If I do go with the 2.4, I plan on changing the ram myself. I would like the extra hard drive space though...

However, I don't think ALL of my work will be done on my own computer, as the school does have fully equipped Mac labs, etc. I'm still in high school right now, and although I'm not entirely sure I'm going into this program, I just want to be prepared. Right now, I do a lot of photoshop and indesign, 2.4 will be just fine for those?

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Refurbished items from Apple, are usually actually new. Someone bought it, decided they didn't like it or couldn't afford it, reboxed it and sent it back after a few days. Apple cant resell that as new by law, but it technically is.

Ask anyone on this forum, and they'll tell you that you wont be dissapointed by buying refurbished from Apple, its better than buying new because you get a massive discount too.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Don't worry about any scratches. Refurbs are the way to go. They are FLAWLESS. There will be a brand new battery. There will not be ANY fingerprints or scratches on the machine. At all. Other members will tell you their experiences as well, but refurbs are just new machines without the beautiful Apple box.