Not another one of those....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by notatrumpetpro, Feb 23, 2008.

  1. notatrumpetpro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    #1
    Things that have been thought might show up in the next MBP:
    -Penryn Chips (2.5 and 2.6)
    -Same touchpad/trackpad as the Air
    -Magnetic Latch
    -New Keyboard (Black chicklet like Air)
    -Larger HD
    -BTO Hi-Res screen
    -Upgraded GPU? or at least 256mb on bottom end and 512mb for top end

    For me at no extra cost the Penryn chip would be nice and also maybe an updated GPU or the 256 for base and 512 for high end. The larger HD might be nice too but isn't cricitcal for me. I really don't like the new keyboards and the magnetic latch is good and bad. I also don't like the touchpad on the Air, the "click" button is way to small, and the gesutres, again, to me don't seem useful yet.

    With all of that in mind and reading every rumor site for the last 3 months I'm going to buying a MBP this Tuesday unless something is released by Apple giving a date as to when to expect the new MBPs. Since I know this more than likely wont happen I need some help in deciding which model to get. I'm looking at the 15.4" models and can't seem to decide on one. I currently have a desktop with specs as followed: AMD 4400+, 2GB ram, 800 GB of HDD, GeForce 6800 256mb vid. card, and a 22" Gateway LCD.

    From what I understand by getting the 2.2 model I'll essentially have my current desktop minus the 22" display, hdd space. Also the MBP would have a better video card with less vram.

    I will be using the MBP for aperture, pro tools, garage band, and maybe down the road lite video editing (and by the time I get to video editing I'd prob. have a different machine anyway). I'm still undecided about dual booting xp or vista but if I do then I would be installing steam with TF2 and CSS. But for the most part most game play would be done on my desktop.

    I hope to use the MBP for at least 2-3 years before even thinking about getting something new (laptop wise).

    With that said is it worth it to spend an extra $500 to get the 2.4 model? (200mhz more proc. speed, 40gb more hd space, and 256mb vram)

    I'll be upgrading the ram on whatever I get to 4GB.

    Thanks.
     
  2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

    KingYaba

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2005
    Location:
    Up the irons
    #2
  3. notatrumpetpro thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    #3
    Well my only thought on more vram would be useful at larger res. my 22" does 1680 x 1050 and I'm thinking about getting a 24" so I can get 1900x1200, is this not accurate?

    Def. am getting 3rd party ram, either Cruical or Mushkin ($85 on newegg).
     
  4. tokiidokii macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2008
    #4
    i had the same question like you. but i decided to go with the 2.4 mbp. while it's like only 200mghz diff, having a 256mb vid card is pretty good. i kinda want to play games too :p

    but definitely buy your memory from a 3rd party vendor. i got 4gb mushkin ram from newegg for like 100 bucks w/ 20 dollar rebate. apple's 700 dollar mem upgrade is a complete joke!
     

Share This Page