NOT another pro/con MMS thread...just a question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jul 8, 2008.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

As the title states this is not an argument for or against MMS...just a question regarding the controversy:

I have seen many comments that Steve Jobs feels that MMS is an outdated technology and is trying to phase it out by "forcing" people to use email. Can anyone point me to actual evidence that Jobs has stated this somewhere? An article or interview maybe? I'm wondering if this "Jobs hates MMS" theory is a myth. I've never seen an actual statement directly from him regarding this. It seems as if this philosphy has just been generally accepted without any concrete confirmation.

Maybe I'm missing something?

2. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Browse by:

Get daily news round-up

This is all I could find.

Steve Jobs didn't mention MMS for the iPhone 3G, but will it actually support picture messages?

One of the most disappointing aspects about the iPhone 3G announcement was the lack of announcement surrounding MMS, or picture-messaging for acronym haterz. How could Jobs forget such an important feature? When crummy old Motorolas can send photos, it's surprising the iPhone cannot.

Or can it? New details have emerged via an internal email at American carrier AT&T regarding a service that sounds distinctly like MMS. Users will be able to attach several images, plus an audio file and video to a normal SMS. Kind of like...oh wait, is it...an MMS?

It hasn't been confirmed of course, but is sure to put a dampener on lists like this.

So it looks like iphone 3G will support MMS.

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Its more common sense then anything. Name me 1 thing that MMS can do that email can't (besides sending only to other phones). Then name things that email can do that MMS can't.

Once you do that, you will have your answer.

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

How many phones support MMS? How many support e-mail? MMS is a cell phone standard now, e-mail is breaking in, but still isn't offered in just about any phone.

(For the record, I couldn't care less about MMS)

5. YoungKevin macrumors member

I just wish the iPhone could do what every other phone can it doesnt matter if it outdated. The iPhone suppose to be the world most advanced phone so stand by ur worlds and make it that!

6. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Sure, and most of the world is still using Windows. That doesn't mean its the best choice.

MMS is a very silly "standard" if you think about it. Honestly, same thing with SMS for the most part.

E-Mail is a far better solution. The phones that don't support it are substandard. This is about Apple "raising the bar".

7. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

See the OP

8. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

That does not answer my question. Common sense regarding MMS, someone's subjective opinion or a vision from God has nothing to do with Steve Jobs' position on MMS.

I did not intend this thread to become a "MMS is worthless/No, we need MMS" debate. I just want to know if anyone has actual evidence that Jobs stated, in some shape or form, that MMS is outdated or needs to be phased out.

Thanks! :)

9. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I'm all for raising the bar, but you can't raise it without letting others play too. If Mac OSX had no support for any Windows at all (include the use of Windows file extensions) OSX wouldn't be nearly what it is today.

You have to have a bit of give and take when you try to progress technology, and right now Apple seems to be all take with the MMS battle. Considering their stance of, 'no, MMS sucks, use email.'

10. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

That's the point of this thread! Where did they actually say that?

11. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Note that I didn't use quotes, I used semi-quotes. Which don't express an excat quote.

12. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Well, I know they didn't actually say that and you were paraphrasing. But you did say "considering their stance". Where is their "stance" stated regarding MMS? I've seen nothing from Apple or Steve Jobs that says, indicates, insinuates, suggests, implies or conveys that MMS is a "outdated technology".

Again, I would like to emphasize, that I am looking for a statement from Apple or Steve Jobs NOT someone's opinion as the whether MMS is good or bad.

13. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I do not believe there has been any official statement, rather many deductive reasonings.

14. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Outdated? The only thing outdated is AT&T's cryptic txt msg you get when you get an MMS.

How about AT&T emails me the image? Or gives me a LINK to the image!

AT&T fails. Oh and so does Apple.

This whole thing still annoys me :)

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There has never been anything from Apple or Jobs that mentioned MMS in either a positive or negative light.

Bloggers and so-called reporters, as usual, made up their own "facts".

As for SMS, it is push technology (since it's really an incoming ring) that works on any phone without using up extra bandwidth, data plan, or power. It takes no extra power to monitor because the phone is looking for a ring all the time anyway.

Email is different. It has to wake up and actually transmit IP packets and look for a response. The more it wakes up to do this, the less the battery life.

Since MMS is an extension of SMS, it shares in the lower monitoring power benefit.

Finally, many of the so-called arguments for email could be applied to SMS as well, and yet Apple included SMS.

16. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

That's interesting. So far no evidence, yet I have read, in many threads, things like "because Steve Jobs says it's an outdated technology" and "Jobs has made the decision to kill off MMS".

But no evidence at all that points to this. It's funny how a myth gets started and perpetuated over time. Now people take this "Jobs hates MMS" as fact.

But still, someone might post evidence...I wait!:)