Not another "should I wait" thread...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by webster242, Feb 11, 2012.

  1. webster242 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    #1
    So, I do consider this question a bit different than most. I have an imac that I've had for 4.5 years. It's a great computer and it is still my primary machine. The last couple weeks, I've been reviewing craigslist and realized I can probably sell it for $700-800 (24" core2duo). So, this begs the question, if I plan on upgrading at some point, should I wait for a new model and take a risk that my current machine might have a failure? Or should I sell now before something breaks and put the money into a new machine? I have no signs that my current machine will die any time soon. I am just getting paranoid since it is getting older.

    As a follow up, is there an optimal time frame to sell in which minimizes the amount of $ per year for owning an iMac? Does anyone have a buy/sell approach that they don't mind talking about?
     
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #2
    Why do people continue to make threads like "Not another "should I wait" thread...", the title of which indicates you know there are many other threads covering the very same topic. Why not read those threads, since what will be said in response to this thread will be no different than what was said a few thousand times in other threads? If you believe your thread is really different, why not title it to reflect that? I don't get it, but whatever floats your boat.

    Buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.
     
  3. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

    Carl Sagan

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    Location:
    The Universe
    #3
    I'd buy now but if it was a couple months I'd wait. Chasing the upgrade cycle is a wise choice given we now have a good understanding of Apple's update cycles...
     
  4. bungiefan89, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

    bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2011
    #4
    People make those thread titles in an attempt to be funny, and they do occasionally bring a smile to my face, this thread included. :D

    And I don't expect people to read over all those other threads before. Buying a new computer a huge investment and the decision carries a lot of weight well after the purchase is made. So given the gravity of the situation, I find it quite understandable that people would want to get some direct input from real living people who are talking directly to them rather than read over a transcript of a related situation. There may be an argument to be made about clutter, but I don't see that as too big of a problem on this particular forum.

    And in response to the OP, I'd say the best time to buy an iMac or any computer for that matter is right when it first comes out, that way you get the maximum amount of time to enjoy the computer before the next model which has better specs for the same money. It just makes your money go further.

    I'd also caution you against purchasing the 2011 iMacs because while I personally love the 27" model I currently own, in the back of my mind I know that her glorious screen can only display information from thunderbolt sources. In other words, if you plan on using your iMac as an external monitor years after the computer itself is too slow and old to use efficiently, don't go with the 2011 models.
     
  5. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2010
    #5
    For me, I'm, a "if it ain't broke / still works, then keep using it" type of person. With this in mind, if your existing iMac still works, I'd keep using it - until it needs to be replaced. Especially if your existing iMac still motors along pretty good...
     
  6. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #6
    I think it was a bit of humor on OP's part, as well as a warning to ignore the thread if you're annoyed by these.

    To the OP, if you have a working Mac I'd wait for the new model.
     
  7. webster242 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    #7
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate those that actually read the original question instead of dismissing my question as another dumb "well, should I wait for the upgrade". There are like 5 of those on the first 2 or 3 pages (and I did read them all) I actually intended this thread to be more of one about if anyone had found it more economical to upgrade at some point after buying instead of wearing it out. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
     
  8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #8
    I didn't dismiss your thread, and I answered it honestly. I simply prefaced my answer with an honest question why someone would use a title that indicates their thread is "more of the same", especially if you believe yours is different. It wasn't a suggestion that you not post the thread, but that you choose a title that did your thread more justice, if you feel it has merit. If I didn't think the thread was worth responding to, I would have said nothing.
     
  9. jsolares macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2011
    Location:
    Land of eternal Spring
    #9
    It's still, should i do this now or wait, with this being sell old and buy new instead of just buying new, it's the same still.

    Only you can answer that question, no one else can, but i'll tell you what i would do, i'd sell now and wait before buying. if you can't wait before buying well then don't XD
     
  10. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

    cocky jeremy

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #10
    I can't tell you what you should do, but i have a 24" 2.93 GHz C2D, and i'm definitely waiting. Why? Because i can. My iMac is still working well enough for what i need it for.
     

Share This Page