Not as stable as Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Ifti, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Ifti, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

Ifti macrumors 68000

Ive had the odd crash with Mavericks - something I never experienced before, with both Lion or Mountain Lion.

Shutdowns take ages, and its usually while shutting down I get the odd crash. I shut down at the end of each day and its happened twice with my rMBP in the past week.

The rMBP came with Mavericks pre-installed.

I upgraded my MBA and Ive had one crash upon shutdown with that - my MBA has NEVER crashed since Ive had it from new. Co-incidence?

The whole OS, although very nice, just seems a little flakey to me.
    I also find battery life worse then it was with Mountain Lion!

2. elgrecomac, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Some suggestions

I fully appreciate your frustration. And now, thousands of entries in this forum and others echo your sentiments. But let me suggest you try a few things to get to a better place.

1. Reset SMC and PRAM. This has helped many people, including myself, in general performance. Don't skip this step! Resetting SMC --- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 and resetting V/PRAM: can zap your PRAM/NVRAM by restarting your machine and pressing AND HOLDING the Command+Option+P+R keys as the system starts up. Make sure to hold keys down until it restarts. I would continue to do it until it restarts again).
    2. While I can't offer a recommendation to speed up your boot-up time, I do have a recommendation on speeding up your shutdown time. And this has been documented in several other thread in this board. Referencing this article ( http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/10/mavericks-issues-and-fixes/), do the following:
    ---launch the TERMINAL app in your Applicationsutilities folder.
    Copy and paste the commands below one at a time. After the first command, you (may) be prompted to enter your password.

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

once done, just shut down the Termial app.

NEXT, launch Disk Utility, again, in your Applications/utility folder
    and REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS on your main/internal drive.
    Once this is finished, shut down your mac and then re-start it.

This should help quite a bit.

Please post your results so other can benefit from them.

:cool:

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Fantastic post - thank you!
    Ive just done all of that - will see how things go - so far so good!