Not Authorized to Update iPod Touch!?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by johnjay1776, Jan 13, 2009.

1. johnjay1776 macrumors member

Not too long ago, I bought an iPhone. I had no need for the iPod Touch I had any longer so I restored the iPhone to it's initial settings and then updated the iPod Touch to software version 2.1 before I gave it to my dad.

On a recent visit, I tried to plug the iPod Touch into his PC and brought up iTunes on his iMac in an attempt to upgrade the iPod Touch to v2.2. I encountered an error telling me that I wasn't authorized to upgrade the software on his iPod Touch to v2.2. Why is this? Has anyone else encountered this before? How do I get around this?

2. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Did you purchase the 2.0 update? If you did, you will need to be signed into your iTunes Store account to be able to update to 2.2.

Sign into your account on your Dad's computer and you should be able to upgrade.

3. johnjay1776 thread starter macrumors member

I did purchase the 2.2 update but there has to be a way to transfer ownership of that image ... ? Maybe not ... ? Just seems somewhat silly to have to do it that way. I mean, people sell these things to others right?

4. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Knowing Apple I doubt there is a way to transfer 'ownership' of the update.

Do you actually own the OS? I doubt it somehow. Probably buried in the small print is something saying you only pay for the right to use it.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I doubt "ownership" of the update is the problem, because people are able to get that update for free from, well, sources we aren't allowed to talk about in this forum.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I've given two of my old iPod touch's to my family, who use them on different computers, and they've never encountered this problem. Both iPods had 2.0 purchased and installed by myself, and they've been updated to future versions flawlessly on these other computers.

Does your dad have an iTunes Store account? If he doesn't, it might help to make one. Or at least sign into your own iTunes account for the duration of the update.