Not available to sign upon delivery. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigpoppamac31, Feb 2, 2015.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

So I ordered a rMBP off the Apple refurb site (canada) and its supposed to arrived on February 4. I won't be home that day it seems cause I work. What will happen if I'm not there to sign for it? Will it get returned to Apple or get taken to the nearest post office for pickup? I'm in Canada so any Canadian replies would be great. Thanks.

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

it will probably go back to the local postal service office

3. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Believe FedEx is Apple carrier in Canada. Contact them ASAP to see what is possible at this late date.
    < http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/services/addservopt/holdatlocation.html >

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If it's Fedex, you can redirect it to a local pickup center or another business location (your office for example) before delivery by tracking it on Fedex.com

For Canada Post, everytime time this has happened to me, they leave a slip that has you go to an outlet in Shopper's Drug Mart that are usually open for terrific hours (I wish the USPS did this, it's great). 7pm weekdays, good times Saturday AND Sunday.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay. Thank you. I'll see what I can do. It's a FedEx shipment but the tracking number doesn't work yet. Apparently it takes a little while to kick in.

6. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I'm in the US, and here you can either :

- pre-sign online (not recommended if noone's home)
    - have it redirected to a FedEx pickup center
    - have it delivered at work or to a neighbor
    - have it held for delivery the next day

I don't think FedEx Canada is any different.

7. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

When i got my 15" retina i had to drive an hour to pick it up, didnt know why and lived in a pretty big city. Worth it though, but then the next day i returned it (apple accepts custom made macs) and got the GT 750 m graphics

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Usually a courier will call up to three times to deliver a parcel that requires a signature.
    If your not in , they'll drop a card and call back tomorrow.

9. MkVsTheWorld macrumors regular

I usually have my Fedex shipments redirected to a local Kinkos, which there's one about 5 minutes from work. I think the OP will need to open an account with Fedex to redirect a package, but there's no charge for an account and usually you can redirect it. Totally worth it!

10. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

FedEx usually delivers in the evening to home addresses, especially if it is from Apple. They do a lot of Apple deliveries so they are aware people work during the day. I have had many Apple deliveries so I know how FedEx works it.

They will attempt to deliver at least 3 times to your door before they will leave a card attached to your door telling you how you can get your package. The card will give you a number to contact and they will inform you how to go about it. In most cases you will have to go to one of their depots to pick it up after they attempt 3 times to deliver.

Yes I am in Canada.