Not backing up files before partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by egyptianeyes, Nov 27, 2008.

1. egyptianeyes macrumors newbie

I want to put vista ultimate on my mac, and I was wondering if it was a bad idea to not back up my files before installing it? I can just wait for black friday to get the external hard drive, but I was just wondering, is that risky?

2. andrewm macrumors regular

It's risky for sure, but the chance of data loss is likely fairly small. What might bite you, however, is what bit me, too: in the event that the partitioning fails for some reason (which it did the first time I tried it), then it will tell you to back up your data and *reformat* your hard drive, then after reinstalling everything try again. Thus I heartily recommend that you have a backup ready, in case it should come to that.

Cheers,
    Andrew

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Agreed 100% with andrewm, but I wanted to add that operating your Mac at any time without a backup is playing with fire- not just when you are doing upgrades, etc.

If you should suffer a sudden catastrophic disk failure (or serious corruption of the directory structure that may or may not be repairable) you will sure wish that you had been doing periodic backups all along. Macs are great and I would never choose another platform myself, but hard drives are mechanical devices that are all too prone to failure- often without pre-failure warning signs. As the old saying goes it is not a question of if a hard drive will fail, but when. ;)