Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
conversion of iphone native apps to run also on the iPad is going to increase their size significantly. Does anyone know if the programs are going to grow significantly in size? For the moment, I presume that new ipad-compatible apps will REPLACE iphone/touch-only apps, so that no matter which platform they are downloaded to, there will be just one VERSION of an app.

(I realize I am asking a question that perhaps no one can accurately answer at this moment in time.)

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Only a substantial difference if the app includes more detailed/larger graphics and video files to fit the iPad's resolution.

Adding a few extra buttons alone won't make much difference.

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
I don't think it's an infringement of the SDK confidentiality agreement to state the following:

Code size: The new form factor and speed of the iPad allows for more to be done and therefore more complex programs are likely eventually. That said, increases in code size are unlikely to be particularly noticeable.

Resource size: Apple is actively encouraging developers to create visually rich applications that take full advantage of the iPad's high quality display for the enjoyment of end users. Apple wants the iPad to be a pleasurable experience and has led by example with applications such as iBooks and the calendar.

Now despite this it is still possible to create beautiful applications from a visual perspective without going overboard on the resources but this is where size differences will be most noticeable. It will be down to developers to come up with ways of minimising footprint whilst maximising user experience.

Now to answer your exact question directly. Will iPhone apps that are enhanced to support the iPad be significantly bigger? Well that will depend entirely upon how the developer chooses to 'enhance' their existing app. If the app is primarily based on Cocoa standard interface elements (buttons, sliders, text boxes, etc) then the answer is going to be "not too much". However, if the developer instead realises that their app has the potential to be "so much more" on the iPad and modifies it accordingly then the answer would be "quite likely". How much bigger will depend on the skill of the developer when it comes to balancing "visually rich" against "resource heavy".

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Apps - no.
Games - in most cases, yes, by up to 2-4 times larger. Simply because of the increased bitmap sizes. But it depends on the game and how efficient the developer can be.

Devs are currently looking into a dual binary system (where you'd only download the iPad assets if you're using the app on an iPad) but it's all a bit young at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.