Not buying direct from Apple (MBP) - any disadvantages?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael-Toon, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Michael-Toon macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am going to buy a Macbook Pro but i am impatient and do not want to wait for the Apple store :D

Is there any disadvantage from not buying direct from Apple? I do not want a BTO, just the stock 2.53Ghz MBP 4GB RAM etc.

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Apple customer relations are fantastic if you ahve problems, I have not always found this the case with Cancom, jigsaw24, Computer warehouse. Si i stick to apple, also they can not match the same HE benefits of apple nor the promotions.

3. Michael-Toon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks :) I am buying from a Big UK retail chain so its not like its some backstreet shop :D And it could be delivered by tomorrow, whereas if i buy from Apple it "ships within 7 business days"

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

That's great, I know how you feel, I cancelled my online order and went into get a stock 2.4 rather then wait. Out of interest who are you buying from? As the three I mentioned are all large apple resellers.

5. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I bought from John Lewis (UK) - which meant I got a 40% discount on a refurb (more than Apple) and also a 2 year warranty (over Apple's 1 year...)

And when I had a problem with my MBP I went to the Apple Store in Southampton and they fixed the logic board for free - no quibbles...

6. Michael-Toon thread starter macrumors newbie

haha its John Lewis :)

John Lewis offer a 2yr warrenty (standard) and also 28 days refund as long as its in perfect condition so i suppose nothing can really go wrong :)

I (should) get my first Mac tomorrow, woohoo :D

7. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

You should be fine with John Lewis, they do have a good reputation.
    I'd avoid PC World like the plague.
    An Apple Store purchase is by far the safest option.
    Personally, given the amount of money I would be laying down, I'd wait and buy it from an Apple Store, safe in the knowledge that should anything go wrong I would enjoy no-quibble support.
    Vanilla

8. Michael-Toon thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, now i come to think of it i remember back when i worked as support on H.P. some retailers e.g. John Lewis had a special deal with extra warrenty, so i suppose thats actually better than the Apple store. When i worked at H.P. we didnt even ask "where did you buy this" and i suppose it shouldnt matter, its still an Apple product wherever i buy.

As for PC World i would never buy anything there because their support/sales is so bad, they definatly are one of those companies who try their best NOT to help the customer.