Not certified

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by illyb2000, Jun 18, 2013.

1. illyb2000, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

illyb2000 macrumors 6502

Does anyone else get this using an apple charger ? It still charges but just curious....

I also get the same message on a battery case which doesn't charge although did on ios 6

iPhone 5

Attached Files:

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I've seen other posts about it. Does this happen on a genuine Apple charger, like the one that came with the iPhone? It should happen only with third party chargers/cables. Not saying they won't work, but just something new in iOS7.

3. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah that's why; it's 3rd party; not sure why this one still charges though and the case doesn't; case came in handy; hopefully the other betas will resolve it.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Not sure about that. It could be a bug, it won't hurt to file a bug report.

5. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will report it, no harm in seeing if anymore had the same issues that's all :)

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

No harm at all.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

There's nothing to report. The message clearly says "it MAY not work". Not sure what the bug would be...

8. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah but just curious as to why some would work and some wouldn't; and if it's going to be resolved in order for them all to work or all not to work. I appreciate the wording of the message would then have to change but no harm in enquiring.

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I was speaking about the battery case. File a report on that.
    The cable warning is just that a warning.

10. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers, now sent, thanks for your help.

11. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Still not fixed; let's hope another beta solves it

Attached Files:

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's not a bug. Apple is cracking down on unauthorized accessory makers.

13. illyb2000, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is this for definite or just your thoughts? The only battery pack for the 5 that Apple sell is 69.99 and that's 3rd party too, also sure the docking stations that folk have won't be apple so means a lot of wasted money.

14. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Look up definition of "unauthorized". The docks and battery packs Apple sells are Authorized 3rd party accessories.

15. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Well then Apple is selling unauthorised accessories in their apple stores then, as my 2 USB to Lightning, 1 30 pin to Lightning and small 30 pin to Lightning adapters all show the same warning. The total knockoff cable shows a different warning, but still charges the iPhone

16. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

What I'm saying is not all docks are apple authorised so surely they won't all be rendered useless, and I know what unauthorized means thanks.

17. nancyfromafrica macrumors member

Yours is not a genuine charger if you have read the message thoroughly you would have understood it, much like dell computers which recognizes only genuine parts

18. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Lightning accessories have a chip inside that can confirm certification but chargers are a different thing altogether.
    The iPhone can draw 1/2 an Amp (it does this when hooked to a USB port) or it can draw 1-Amp (when hooked to AC). Similarly, the iPad can draw 2A or 1A.
    If the phone tried to draw 1A from a charger that couldn't provide 1A there could be some damage.
    So how does the iPhone know? The charger tells it.
    Apple uses a non-standard USB setup and the iPhone/iPad actually looks for a specific amount of power coming into it on the data wires (in addition to the charging wires).
    A USB port on a computer or similar won't have the correct power on the data wires and the phone will draw 500mA.
    A charger designed to Apple specs will have just the right amount of power coming in on these wires and the iPhone will know that it's safe to draw 1A.
    This power spec is very specific and if the power is off by just a little the iPhone will give you that accessory error. I think I remember it being less than 1/2 a volt.
    And even if the charger is putting out the right voltage, using a non-Apple USB cable or a damaged cable could alter that voltage just enough to throw off what the phone sees.
    It may drop down to the 500mA charge rate or it might not charge at all. It probably depends on how "off" that voltage is.
    That power setting is in the Apple firmware and it can change with every iOS update.
    My car stereo used to charge my iPhone just fine.
    Then there was an iOS update and the car stereo stopped charging.
    On the next iOS update it started charging again.
    I already know that the settings in the iPad have changed in beta-2 because I noticed it trying to draw 2A from 1A chargers.
    That is pretty dangerous and I expect it to be corrected before the final iOS7 release.
    In the meantime I would recommend that only the offical iPad charger be used with the iPad.

19. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I had this issue with my old iPhone 3G using a third party charging cord. It actually stopped my speakers from work entirely.. which I only found out 2 days after my phone stopped waking me up for work. Not sure if this problem is happening with you as well.

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You're right I can't confirm 100% that it is or isn't a bug but I'm surprised that this issue has not been reported much in the last week considering how many of us are charging our phones nightly and not running into this.

21. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

My thoughts too; cheers for coming back to me.

----------

Thanks for this; very informative.

22. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Reply from Apple bug reports asking for make and model of case, see what happens :)

23. dooten999 macrumors newbie

I don't think we need a message that says something about the possibility of it not working. That's kinda pointless. By that logic they could put a disclamer when you plug your phone in that it's possible it may explode. :rolleyes:

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

With things of the nature mentioned at http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/25...tion-and-use-of-genuine-apple-power-adapters/ it might not be that bad of an idea from Apple's side of things.

25. ncaissie macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

Holy Crap! Those new icons are so innovative! I can’t wait!
    And nag screens, just what I wanted on my phone!
    Thank you Apple! You are the best! :eek: