Not charging, but really charging

Discussion in 'iPad' started by amro, May 9, 2010.

1. amro macrumors 6502

So, I noticed that the last couple if times I hooked my iPad to my Vaio, the ipad does get charged even though it says not charging. Granted, it is at a slower rate, but it went from 54% to 84% in about 5 hours.

2. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I guess "not charging" means "not charging at the full speed you may expect." I get the same message using the ports on the front and the back of my HP desktop, whether I plug the cord directly to the iPad or plug the cord into the dock and put the iPad into the dock. In all cases, it does charge, a bit slowly.

Actually, iPad charging in general seems a little slow, but that's probably because the battery capacity is larger compared with most portable electronics.

3. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Mine does that if hooked up to my USB hub. It doesn't do it if plugged directly into my mbp.

4. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice. USB hub must have a beefy power supply. Wonder what the minimum current is for the iPad to display charging.

Update: It looks as if a standard USB port maximum power is 500mA (1/2 an amp). The iPad power supply is a 10W supply which should translate to 2A if the voltage is 5VDC.