"(Not Charging)" in the battery indicator

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaos86, Mar 31, 2008.

1. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

So I'm not sure when the battery in my MBP decided to get more articulate, but now it's expressing itself in more worrysome ways, like telling me "No, I don't care what you say, I don't wanna charge and you can't make me!"

Of course, it actually says (Not Charging) in the menu bar. This happens at times seemingly unrelated to how full the battery is or how long the machine has been plugged in. My battery has 79 cycles on it, and is at 97% health. Unplugging and plugging back in the magsafe works sometimes, but with no pattern.

I liked it when my MBP did whatever I told it to.

Attached Files:

2. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

also..does it say it when you have the "Normal" Profile selected?

3. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

Ok turns out this is a documented issue. The fix is to reset the PMU. Worked for me.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I just saw this the other day on my wife's G4 iBook running 10.5.... went away after a few minutes though.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

95% is within the arguments of a full charged battery. If your computer kept charging to 100% everytime it dropped below it, it would ruin the battery very quickly.

6. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

... nevermind :(

... nevermind :(

I've zapped the PRAM and reset the PMU

Attached Files:

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

This has happened to me occasionally since I upgraded to Leopard. I just assumed it was a bug, but alphaod's post seems to make sense.

8. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

so why did it do it at 73%?

9. vanwas macrumors newbie

This was happening to me with a new 2.5GHz machine. After a while (and about ten resets) it finally stopped charging. Two weeks and a day later, the kind people at :apple: asked me if I'd like to send it in for service or go to the :apple: store and swap it for a new one. The Genius said he's never seen it. Some times the battery would show not charging, other times it would show it wasn't installed, and sometimes it would show 0%, good condition, 0 cycles with a max capacity of 0. Sadly, all of the screen shots I had of it were on the computer that I gave back to :apple:

Not the greatest of news, but apple stood behind their product and the replacement has been working as they normally should.

10. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

Wow. Sounds like I have some serious fun to look forward to...

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I had this issue with my new SR Macbook Pro. I just discharged it a little more before trying to charge it.

you could try calibrating the battery.

12. vanwas macrumors newbie

I doubt you will have the same issues I had. I did leave a couple of things out. :apple: sent me a new battery which sadly, did the same thing, and they were a HUGE help standing by the product. The whole ordeal was rather painless (everything except not being able to use the notebook away from a plug anyway...

Good luck!

Scott

13. applecow macrumors member

Not sure if it is fixed yet but I experienced this today. The way I got around it was simply to let it run on battery for about 10 minutes or so. Then I plugged it back in, it flashed "Not Charging" for a second or so then went on to charge. It seems like its sort of a "soft" reset. I hope you resolved your problem and if not, this helps.

14. xanotherveganx macrumors newbie

Wait it out.

The (Not Charging) message is always a drag for me to see. I have found that waiting it out for like 5 minutes works for me. Anyone else?