Not Charging Issue on my PC

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sparker781, Apr 21, 2015.

1. sparker781 macrumors newbie

So as the title states....I am having this issue still where when I connect my iPad mini to my PC, its recognized for iTunes however on the screen it reads "NOT CHARGING"

I have sent into Apple for additional issues however they tell me nothing is wrong. I was in the apple store today and low and behold it charges on one of their macs. I find it hard to believe they refuse to charge on a PC at all. I have checked all 5 of my USB ports all to no evail.

Anyone ever heard of this weird issue?

Thanks

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Not all USB ports have the ability to charge an iPad. The USB port requires a certain level of power to charge an iPad. Most USB 3.0 ports have that ability. You can check your laptop BIOS and see if it has a USB charging feature.

My Mac Mini can easily charge my iPad but my laptop can't.

3. sparker781 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well

I'd tend to not argue at this point but I've got a brand new machine and I've checked ALL usb ports, both 2.0 and 3.0 and none of them are charging the device.

I seem it hard to find that it powers it enough to use it on my PC in iTunes but not charge it. I google'd it and found several articles that state that its a known issue yet Apple can't figure out why it doesn't work at all on any of my ports.

Ah well guess I'll drop another $20 for the plug port that goes into the wall to charge it.

Thanks Alot

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

As I previously stated, just because you have a USB 3.0 port doesn't mean it has enough power to charge an iPad. You'll need to check your laptop's BIOS to see if it has a USB charging feature. If it does you'll need to enable it.

5. sparker781 thread starter macrumors newbie

Usb

Okay so what if it's not an option on my new PC...? Well it's a custom gaming rig..

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

If it's a custom gaming rig then you should have a DVD that came with your motherboard. There should be USB 3.0 drivers or utilities you can install if the feature is available.

7. sparker781 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rodster you were right all along....LOL

My hard headedness almost made me get rid of a perfectly good iPad Mini. I did what you said, and actually installed USB 3.0 drivers, and amazingly it charges now....LOL

Thanks again for the assist