Not Charging or Powering on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tobeasoldier, Jan 26, 2014.

1. tobeasoldier macrumors newbie

Here's the story. For years I've had a 2010 macbook pro mc374ll/a (We'll call this LaptopA) and it's served me well. One day I manufactured a new charger for it myself and it ruined the computer. How? I was not so sure. So six months after it had become sterile I went and bought a second working mc374ll/a (We'll call this laptopB) so that I could diagnose my own. The first step was getting new chargers and new batteries for both. After I installed the batteries LaptopB was working perfectly where as LaptopA seemed functional, but was suffering from a black screen. Eventually after a bit of experimenting I found the problem wit LaptopA. It was simply a faulty LCD Connector Cable. I was very excited because this was only a $3.00 fix and I was going to be able to sell LaptopB for more than I had bought it for once reassembled. Unfortunately it seemed that some force had other plans for me.

Ok... I had taken the LCD cable from LaptopB and hooked it up to LaptopA. I tested LaptopA while:
    1. The LCD display was free but plugged in to both ports of the logic board and resting on a towel.
    2. The wifi hardware and webcam were not plugged in.
    3. All of the rest of the computer was assembled, in its casing and resting while overturned (keyboard facing down) on a towel.

It worked. It powered on just fine like it was bran new. When I reassembled it... It did not charge or power on. :confused: I could not figure out why.

So... I began to reassemble LaptopB. I took the LCD wire out from LaptopA and put it back into LaptopB and tested it in a disassembled state just as I did with LaptopA. It also worked liked normal. So I began to reassemble LaptopB and guess what? Once I was finished... It did not charge or power on. :eek: Now I am in deep here and have TWO dead laptops.

Does anyone know what might of happened here? And how does one properly reset the SMC? Although I do not think that will be my solution.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like you have some sort of grounding issue with your laptops. It's causing a short of some sort when you reassemble the computer and therefore it's not powering on.

Did you remove any insulators (even just a piece of tape) that you didn't replace? Or perhaps a those little foam pieces? (Forgot what they're called)

3. tobeasoldier thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I did remove some the the foam pieces without replacing them. What do you recommend I do? Electrical tape?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Try putting the foam pieces back.

Use Kapton tape if you're going to insulate anything.

5. tobeasoldier thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that today. If upon re-inspection I find any damage, I will have pictures.