Not Charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hitman45400, Dec 1, 2008.

1. hitman45400 macrumors regular

so this morning i plugged in my old '08 MBP, and this is what i got..
    http://i36.tinypic.com/2dchh80.jpg

according to iStat, my battery is at 98% health, but it says at 95% it's charged..
    so my main concern is why it won't charge, way to fix it?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If your battery is above 95% it will not top off. This is to stop small bursts of charging, like if it drops 1% from carrying it from one place to another, which can deteriorate the battery's life. That might just be a visual bug in the menu bar. Try dropping the battery to 90% and see if it persists. If it works, email Apple so they can try include the fix in a future software update.

3. hitman45400 thread starter macrumors regular

oh ok.
    this is the first time it had happened, my health varies between 98-99% and would charge to 100% so that got me kinda worried

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Strange, I have never had a battery over 95% top off.

I just checked and dropped my battery from 100% to 98%. Everything, including iStat, says that the battery is at 98% and charged and my mag safe is green. I'd say just run your battery down to 90% and see if that fixes everything. Don't forget to reboot.

5. hitman45400 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i found it unusual, but hey, i wasn't complaining haha.
    and so it is normal for it to say 'Not Charging'?

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Health and charge % are different. The health % is how much charge your battery can hold now compared to when it was new. The charge % is how much energy is left to use.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its not normal.

1. Reboot

2. Run the battery down to 90%

3. Plug it back in and see if that sorts it out. If not call Apple.

8. hitman45400 thread starter macrumors regular

alright, thanks!
    i unplugged it and it's down to 60% right now, and it's charging so when it gets up that high, we'll see what happens..
    and what would apple do about it? i heard they didn't cover battery problems like this..

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple is very good about covering battery issues, assuming its not a ridiculous claim. Since iStat is displaying the "correct" information it really sounds like a glitch. Which these steps should fix; you basically getting thr machine to update what is being displayed on the menu bar. If its still doing this contact Apple.