Not cool, Apple. I dont' want iOS 7 so don't force me

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PNutts, Aug 17, 2014.

1. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Warning: General rant ahead.

My kid's iPod Touch 5th gen. runs iOS 6. I run iOS 7 on my iPhone and would rather run iOS 6 so I'm biased.

Besides the security patches Apple won't provide to this device because it's eligible for iOS7, FaceTime stopped working. According to the support page FaceTime won't work for older versions of iOS 6 because of an expired cert. Really? The iPod is on the latest version of iOS 6 Apple allows. Apple won't even issue a new cert to keep FaceTime running on their flagship iPods unless they move to iOS 7.

There is no valid reason for this I can see other than to be able to show what a success iOS 7 is.

Facetime on my other kid's 4th generation iPod works just fine because it cannot be upgraded to iOS 7 so Apple released iOS 6.1.6 for the security vulnerability and apparently it has the valid cert. Grrrrrr...

Apple I've purchased enough from you where your customer's shouldn't be treated like this. You've crippled certain devices to force an unnecessary upgrade. I expect better from you.

2. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I believe that they have done this just to get you to upgrade to iOS 7.

If you don't FaceTime a lot, then it shouldn't be a problem.

But if you do, then I'd go ahead and upgrade.

Apple has crippled the iPod touch 5G anyway by adding that a5 chip. My guess is that when iOS 8 comes around, the iPod touch will be left like an iPhone 4 running iOS 7. Apple always does this. It's not new.

So, if you use it, update your OS.
    if you don't, don't update your OS.

Simple.

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No they actually made the iPod touch 5th Gen better by adding the A5 processor. Had they not added it, the iPod touch 5th Gen would still be using the A4 found in the iPod touch 4th Gen with only 256MB of RAM. They crippled it by not updating it for two years and putting an already year old SoC in it.