Not cool, Apple.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aar2697, Nov 19, 2009.

1. aar2697 macrumors member

So - It starts out with a key change error in disk utility. Next, I try to repair in Disk Utility but oh no, it doesn't work. So then it shrinks my hard drive somehow and I have 0.0000000 GB left and I can't access the partition from Windows. I can't get my digital downloaded Sims 3 games from there. I've never been so screwed in my life. I had high expectations to finish my work, but I guess I can't now because I can't access OS X. All's I get is this beautiful blue screen with just a cursor. I can backup the hard drive and reformat, but I don't have the $100 to go out and get an external hard drive. I have lots of important stuff on there and I'll fail a couple of my classes without them. I need help. :(

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Sounds like your hard drive is dying. That happens sometimes. You should backup your stuff.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not cool, User

One of the most basic rules in using computers is "backup!" If you don't have a backup, you have no one to blame but yourself.

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Borrow the $100. You don't really have a choice, what if something you try to do to fix the drive just makes it worse?

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I'm sorry, but your problem report is not detailed enough - there are obviously several of the steps missing that you've done or not done and what exactly happened with what error message or result.

One thing though about "repairing" a disk with Disk Utility: That usually only works when you boot off the OS X installation DVD and launch the Disk Utility that's on that installation DVD. You cannot fix the system disk of the currently running system, you have to boot from another medium like the installation DVD.

So: Insert the OS X DVD, boot it and let its Disk Utility repair the disk. Maybe that will help.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Somehow, you expect me to believe your negligence and lack of backing up data is Apple's fault. :confused::confused::confused:

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Well obviously not that important if its not even worth $100 or less to back it up.

Maybe the failing of two classes will be a useful lesson to learn about backups, so perhaps worth it in any case?

8. Surely Guest

Surely

^Unnecessarily harsh.

Obviously, the lesson here is to back up regularly. Even Apple cannot guarantee that all of their products won't fail (never mind the fact that they don't actually produce the hard drive.....)

Borrow the cash, or borrow the HD from someone.

Hopefully it works out for you. The least you should be doing is backing up important files to a USB flash drive....

9. chill. macrumors 6502

how large is your important stuff? a lot of my schoolwork is actually on the cloud! i used to always e-mail myself important papers or projects, you can try that if you can't get a hold of another hd

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can buy a cheap usb flash key that holds a decent number of gigabytes of stuff for backups. then you don't need to back up your entire system.

11. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

failing that, buy a 3.5" internal HD and buy a external enclosure for it,
    i got a 1TB HD for about 60 USD and the enclosure cost me about 30 USD, works thru USB ;) cheaper solution and works with all computers