Not Cool - Verizon Global Support # in Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparkstsa, Oct 16, 2011.

1. sparkstsa macrumors regular

Ok... All my contacts are in icloud. I was just checking them and noticed that I had one extra contact that I didn't add. The contact is called Global Support. I googled the phone number and it discovered that this is the Verizon International Travel support line. I have no idea how this just appeared. Its not cool for Apple or Verizon to just add their contact info whenever they please.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. It's just a phone number that you can easily remove.

Now, if they installed some app you couldn't remove, that's another story.

3. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Hence one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of the Cloud! Not gonna use it in fact.

4. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

I realize that. The big deal is that they have access to it.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

They don't have access to it through iCloud. That number just comes on the Verizon/Vodaphone SIM card they installed in the iPhone when you bought it. There's no way for Verizon to add numbers now, they can just have some preloaded on the SIM card.

6. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

7. wellok macrumors 6502

Well, I have terrible news for you: Apple's number is in mine. It's just a matter of time before you meet the same fate.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Apple's full contact info comes on every Mac you've bought and would also be automatically uploaded to iCloud... this is a non-story.

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

It came on the phone, but it probably took a little while for iCloud to upload it. Also, did you happen to hit the "Copy contacts from SIM" button? That would do it immediately.

10. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

I agree. No body has the right to access/truncate info automatically. But what is this number that you are talking about? I really wish to know.

Thanks.
    Regards

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

This.

12. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

OH NO! This is terrible news. Apple is going to overload us with phone numbers for them!