Not detecting my itouch - Says its an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pcinfoman, Feb 25, 2008.

1. pcinfoman macrumors member

I know this has been discussed before, but there seems to be no answer as far as I can tell.

If I connect my 32GB itouch to my Mac, it works perfectly every time.

However, when I connect it to my PC (Running Windows Vista Ultimate 32), 9/10ths of the time, it hangs for a very long time and then iTunes finally says that it sees an iPhone, but cannot connect to it. What gives? Why does it keep saying the following:
    ---------------------------
    "An iPhone has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect it and reconnect the iPhone, then try again."
    ---------------------------

I have followed various suggestions that have been posted (reinstalling iTunes, disconnecting all other devices, even wiping my ipod and starting from scratch). None of it works.

What do I have to do to make the $500 device work properly?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Make sure that iTunes is updated to the latest version first hand, and if that doesn't work try to put your iPod Touch into Recovery mode.

3. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

Well, like I said in my post, I have reinstalled iTunes, therefore it is the latest and greatest version.

As for Recovery Mode, how do I do that? What will that accomplish?

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That statement isn't without loopholes. If you re-installed from disk, or from archive, it does not ensure that you have the latest version. You would be surprised at how many people do just that, and think the version they just installed is fresh.

If you downloaded from software update, or from Apple, you likely have the newest version.

Sorry as to not be clear, but the words "Recovery mode" were actually a link to the Apple support site on this subject. I have included the link again below.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305797

5. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the article. I did not remember about Recovery Mode. However, during my trial and error, I did do this before. It restored my itouch and wiped all the data from it. Then I synced the itouch and it put my music library back on it.

I still had/have the same problem.

Any other ideas?

6. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

Did you originally connect it to your Mac or PC? If you connected it to your Mac first, it's not formatted in a Windows-readable format. It's formatted in HFS+. (I don't know if it would be at all recognizable if this were the case.)

Try restoring it in Windows, and that should reformat the iPod to FAT32, which is readable and writable in both OS X and Windows.

You might have to force restore or a hard restore if Windows won't recognize it at all. Three ways to restore:
    • Click restore if the iPod connects
    • With the iPod turned off, hold the home button and plug it in to your computer
    • With the iPod on, press and hold both home and hold buttons until it turns off. After it turns off, let go of hold and continue holding home until you see the indicator. This can take 20 to 30 seconds sometimes.

Good luck to you.

7. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

I originally connected it to my PC. After about 20 times of unplugging it and plugging it in, it was finally recognized. I have to go through that every time on the pc.

I then plugged it into my Mac and it sees it the first time every time. When O go back to my pc, I go through the mess again.

The times that I went through the restore process, it was always restored on the pc. That is the main machine I want it working on. I only plugged it into the mac to test the connection.

8. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

Have you tried different ports on your PC?

Sometimes it can be as simple as a buggy hardware connection, or a wonky USB hub. Try the ports on the back of the machine, and try every port.

9. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

I have tried the 2 different ports on the front of my pc, but not the ones in the back. I will try them when I get home tonight and let you know.

Thank you for the suggestion.

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I would try calling Apple Support from your sweet iPod touch phone.

11. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

Sarcasm! Wonderful. However, calling Apple from my house phone about my itouch might not be such a bad idea.

12. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

Well, I tried every single usb port I have (they are all usb 2.0) and it still does the same thing.

Ideas?

BTW, I am using iTunes v7.6.1.9 on my pc

13. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

14. skaterxx macrumors newbie

I had the same problem when I was downloading firmware 1.1.4 iTunes recognized my touch as an iPhone so I unplugged my touch and it went to the screen where it has the picture of the USB cord saying to plug it in and open up iTunes. So basically its like it went into recovery mode by itself but when I plugged it back in it wouldn't do anything so I had to uninstall iTunes then re install it then I had to set iPod in recovery mode and it finally worked but I had to reinstall everything again since all the data was wiped clean.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iPod touch 16GB
    iPod classic 80GB
    windows vista 64 bit

15. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

first off, read my sig.

Seccondly, try a diffrent USB cord. That was my problem. It was pretty simmilar to yours

16. gil2923 macrumors newbie

restore

make sure you ipod is connected then press and hold the home button and the power button until a message pops up on itunes then restore you ipod by going on to devices and restore.

17. 900hwy165 macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem since 1.1.3 as well as MANY others. I just recently upgraded to 1.1.4 in hopes that it solved the problem - but no such luck.

To avoid the issue. Always plug in the ipod to the USB BEFORE you launch iTunes.

Hope that helps.

18. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

:p i just noticed that.... i dont have any experience with vista, but it does sound like it sucks....

another thing you could try is plug in your ipod, and restart, WITH the ipod still plugged in, if just plain restarting dosent work.

i also see your using 7.6.1, try 7.5, it may help...

19. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

First of all, the iTunes website says it is compaitble with Vista. 2nd, to just say "It is Vista" with no other explanation is idiotic at best.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I have already reinstalled iTunes from the download on the website 4 times as well as went through the Recovery Mode on my iTouch (Yes, I know it is called an "iPod Touch", but I like calling it an "iTouch") and it did not solve the problem.

A very valid suggestion, but I do not have another cord. Question: How can it be the cord, if it works perfectly on my Mac?

I tried that too. I set iTunes to not launch when the iPod is connected. I connected the iPod, waited a few minutes, then launched iTunes. Same problem.

I have not tried that yet and will when I get home. I have plugged in the iPod when the computer was off and then started fresh, but still had the same problem.

Where do I get 7.5? I only have the download from the website to work with?

20. 900hwy165 macrumors newbie

A lot of issues are created from time to time by having iTunes launch when the ipod is detected. Just for fun, change the setting to manually launch iTunes, then exit the program, connect the ipod and then manually launch iTunes.

21. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

I have already done this. In fact, my itunes is currently set this way. It did not work.

22. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for that search link. It makes me feel alot better knowing I am not the only one with this problem. Anyway, alot of people are saying that if I disconnect my internet, launch itunes, then connect the ipod, it will work. I will check that out.

The consensus is that it is an issue with itunes 7.6. It has nothing to do with Vista (as earlier suggested) as it is happening in XP, 2000 and even 98.

23. 900hwy165 macrumors newbie

I believe you are correct. I'm not running Vista and I never had the problem prior to 7.6.

24. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

I would give you a link, but I'm on my 'pod, just google "iTunes 7.5 download"
    as for the USB cord, some of the wires were broken, so it would not work, if your using the one that came with the touch you should be good.