Not eligible for upgrade, but may be for iPhone Early Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Espo, May 13, 2009.

1. Espo macrumors 6502

Just called AT&T and spoke to a rep who told me that I am not eligible for an upgrade until December 09. I had the original iPhone (first week it released) and the 3G on release day.

I was looking forward to the new iPhone, cuz I am sucker for new tech, and was told by the rep that I cannot upgrade but I may be eligible for an early iPhone upgrade. He said that right now, people who aren't eligible for an upgrade are eligible to upgrade only if it is an iphone.

Has anyone gone through this process? I am not saying that this will apply for the new iPhone, but I am speculating and hoping that it does so I can sell my 3G and make some $$ to buy the new one.

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I really doubt it.

I mean, anything's possible - but I doubt at&t would lose potential earnings just because existing contract-holding customers want the new iPhone on the cheap.

3. fratboy macrumors regular

well the iphone is different than any of the other phones they have or special .
    If they make a deal with apple to remain the exclusive carrier they might let all iphone users upgrade..

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

As Applejuiced said on a very very similar thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=700903:

"I think we need to wait till the new phone is released/announced before we can tell for sure how upgrades, contracts, fee's and how everything else is going to work."

We don't even know if there is one coming, how could we possibly know the tiny details.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think they'll do it.
    They'll have all these early upgraders sign and locked into another 2 year contract and they'll also pay an additional $200 for the phone so $399 8GB and $499 16GB.
    This way they're not subsydizing it as much and they're locking in their customers on another contract. Win win for AT&T.
    Thats just my guess, we wont know for sure for another month.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Didn't happen for the iPhone 3G its not going to happen this time either. ATT is sacrificing profit for market share right now when it comes to the iPhone.

7. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

If there is a new iphone this summer, trust me at&t will let everybody (with a iphone) upgrade. That will be one way for them keep there claws in us for two more years.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd agree - no carrrier rep will know right now. They haven't been told. When Apple tells them, then they might be able to tell us.

9. daonesteven macrumors 6502

i feel like they'll probably have a "one year rule," you'll have to have been at least a one year customer to be eligible for early upgrade. That way, it's somewhat aligned to their policies with their other phones.

10. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I work for an authorized AT&T dealer and according to our AT&T rep, they will more than likely offer 3G customers to upgrade to the new iPhone. They did that with the original to the 3G and he said they usually will for an iPhone to iPhone.