Not Enough Disk SPace

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeadRobot, Mar 24, 2009.

1. DeadRobot macrumors newbie

Basically I have a partition on my hard drive called "Macintosh HD" which is 46 GB (with 30 GB used and 16 GB free). I then have unallocated free space which is taking up 27 GB.

Is there a way I can increase the size of my Macintosh HD partition to take up all of the free space?

Would this be a solution to the problem?:
    I have a backup of my Macintosh HD, which is on an external hard drive. Would there be a way to completely erase my whole hard disk (including both partitions) and then restore it from my backup?

I'm basically just trying to add the free space on my hard disk to the mac partition, essentially creating 1 partition.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is that unallocated space a Boot Camp partition that didn't work, or something? If it was made with Boot Camp, go back to Boot Camp and remove it. If it wasn't, go to Disk Utility and see if you can restore it to a single partition without erasing. If not, erase anyway and restore from the backup, like you said.

3. DeadRobot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Unallocated space is from a Linux distro that I screwed up and had to remove completely.

Should I be doing the erasing/restoring from OSX or from the Leopard Install Discs?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't erase a partition that you're using at the time, so if it comes to a full erase, you'll have to do it from Disk Utility on the restore disk, yep.