"Not enough free disk space"- new Crucial M4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bozz2006, May 9, 2012.

1. bozz2006, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

After getting up and running with my new Crucial 256GB M4, I get this message when trying to download software updates (the new OSX 10.7.4 and Safari 5.1.7) through Apple's website. Goes fine through software update. Any ideas? I have over 94GB of free space.

Attached Files:

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Run Disk Utility and check your permissions. Possible that your "download" folder doesn't have the correct privs.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

4. bozz2006, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Ah, I believe that's the problem. In Finder I clicked on Downloads, and got the message that I couldn't open it because I don't have permission to see its contents.

However, the problem wasn't solved by a permissions repair or by clicking "get info" on the downloads folder, then changing "sharing and permissions" to read & write for both "system" and "everyone".

Any other ideas?

edit: I got it sorted. I added my username to the list and now am able to access the downloads folder. Thanks for the tip, azentropy.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can fix that by manually changing the permissions, but since there might well be other permissions errors in your home folder as well, I recommend you reset them. Since you're in Lion, follow these steps:

Restart holding the Option key and choose the Recovery Partition (or hold Command-R at startup).
    From the Utilities menu at the top of the screen, choose Terminal.
    Type in "resetpassword" without the quotes and hit enter.
    Choose your drive, then your user account, and then click the button at the bottom to Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACL's.

This will resolve those issues (where Repairing Permissions will not, because it does not touch the home folder, unless applications have installed files there).

jW

6. bozz2006, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Thanks. I restarted holding command R. And now it is doing an Internet recovery. Is that normal?

I don't understand why it went straight to Internet recovery.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Cmd-R goes to the Internet Recovery mode if you don't have a Recovery Partition (or by default on some models, I think), but unless you proceed through the steps, it doesn't actually do anything else. It works just like the Recovery Partition, except it's accessing it all over the internet. The rest of my steps should still work.

jW

8. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yep, it still seemed to work. I guess I'm just surprised that i apparently don't have a recovery partition. I thought that was automatic.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What did you use to clone to your new drive? The clone likely did not make a recovery partition. You can just reinstall Lion and that will make a recovery partition.

10. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I didn't clone. I restored from a TM backup. ???

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That's it. That will not create a Lion recovery partition. Just reinstall Lion and it will make one.

12. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Thanks. Is there any way to do that without having to do Internet recovery?

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you have the installer downloaded to your drive already, then you can just run it, or you can grab it from the Mac App Store (hold Option while clicking on the Purchased section in order for it to be available for redownload).

jW

14. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Downloaded Lion install from the app store. Reinstalled. Restarted computer and held option. Sure enough, there is a recovery partition. Thanks fellas.