Not enough space to install Public Beta 5

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by TitanTiger, Aug 19, 2015.

1. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

Since I was just going to experiment with El Capitan, I created a partition of about 22GB. It has about 6 GB of free space left, but Public Beta 5 requires frickin 9.5 GB of free space to install. Is there a workaround for this? Could I download the install file to an external drive or something and install from there? I tried resizing the partition to give me the needed space but I can't get it to resize.

2. ckisgen macrumors member

I had the same issue. I ended up deleting my vm sleepimage file, deleting all browser caches, deleting some large/unnecessary fonts from Library/ and using Monolingual to delete all languages other than English throughout the OS. This combination brought me from about 4GB free to the just over 9GB that I needed to make it happen.

3. zhaoxin macrumors regular

The disk utility can re-divide the disk spaces if you other partition have enough space?

4. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

I had enough disk space, but disk utility wasn't allowing me to resize the El Capitan partition. So I ended up creating a backup disk image of EC, then deleted that partition completely. After that, I created a new partition with more space then restored the disk image to that using SuperDuper. All good now.