"Not enough space to install this update", any way to go around this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HiFiGuy528, Feb 2, 2011.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I don't know why it needs 6.55gb of free space to install a 1.06gb update? I tried to install the combo update from an external drive, but it tells me "failed, contact software maker" and no other reason why. Any help would be great. Thank you!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The installer most likely moves stuff around during the installation procedure.

Try emptying the trash, that sometimes clears up some space.

3. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

nothing in the trash. Is there a way to install it without the use of Updater? I downloaded the Combo Update from Apple but it fails to install.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't think so. Sounds like you're going to have to off-load some stuff, or buy a bigger drive.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you've got less than 6GB of free space, you're going to run into plenty of other problems as well. You need to free some space or upgrade the drive. Right now, your computer doesn't have enough space to use for virtual memory the way it's designed, most likely, so you're getting heavier than normal disk activity and slower operation than you should, possibly to a very significant degree. This is something you should definitely take care of, and not just by circumventing the issue long enough to install this update.

jW

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...if the objective is just to get to 10.6.6 try downloading each individual 10.6.x update that you need - they're smaller than the combo. But yeah - you need to deal with the free space issue one way or another....oh yeah!

7. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am using a 32gb SSD and I'm not feeling any slow performance. Perhaps it's time to get a bigger SSD drive.