Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

All iPads Not enough Storage to download?

AppleMint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Hello all. For a while I have tried to download iMovie for my iPad. But every time I do I get a message that there is not enough available storage to download.

What I don't understand, is the info page on iTunes shows iMovie only needs 496 MB. However, my iPad has close to 1 Gig available.

I did a reset but this does not seem to have helped. Any ideas on what is happening there?

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Hello all. For a while I have tried to download iMovie for my iPad. But every time I do I get a message that there is not enough available storage to download.

What I don't understand, is the info page on iTunes shows iMovie only needs 496 MB. However, my iPad has close to 1 Gig available.

I did a reset but this does not seem to have helped. Any ideas on what is happening there?

It might only be a 496MB download but the app itself might be larger than 1GB after installation.

Comment

AppleMint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks. I had thought it may be a compression issue, but 2x the size seems a little hard to believe. I believe the old rule of thumb was something like 30% more needed. But you may be right.

Comment

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks. I had thought it may be a compression issue, but 2x the size seems a little hard to believe. I believe the old rule of thumb was something like 30% more needed. But you may be right.

Just uninstall some other apps or music and then put them back when you have installed iMovie. If space is a premium you will have to be selective on what you keep installed.

Comment

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

That's a major issue I have with many of Apple's apps. Too fat. I like iMovie on iOS but does it really need to be as big as it is. I never use the trailers, for example, so why are should they be taking up space. Why not let me download them when I want them only the ones I want. Same with themes. If they were free DLC there could also perhaps be more of them for us to pick from

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.