All iPads Not enough Storage to download?

AppleMint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Hello all. For a while I have tried to download iMovie for my iPad. But every time I do I get a message that there is not enough available storage to download.

What I don't understand, is the info page on iTunes shows iMovie only needs 496 MB. However, my iPad has close to 1 Gig available.

I did a reset but this does not seem to have helped. Any ideas on what is happening there?

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Hello all. For a while I have tried to download iMovie for my iPad. But every time I do I get a message that there is not enough available storage to download.

What I don't understand, is the info page on iTunes shows iMovie only needs 496 MB. However, my iPad has close to 1 Gig available.

I did a reset but this does not seem to have helped. Any ideas on what is happening there?
It might only be a 496MB download but the app itself might be larger than 1GB after installation.

AppleMint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks. I had thought it may be a compression issue, but 2x the size seems a little hard to believe. I believe the old rule of thumb was something like 30% more needed. But you may be right.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks. I had thought it may be a compression issue, but 2x the size seems a little hard to believe. I believe the old rule of thumb was something like 30% more needed. But you may be right.
Just uninstall some other apps or music and then put them back when you have installed iMovie. If space is a premium you will have to be selective on what you keep installed.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That's a major issue I have with many of Apple's apps. Too fat. I like iMovie on iOS but does it really need to be as big as it is. I never use the trailers, for example, so why are should they be taking up space. Why not let me download them when I want them only the ones I want. Same with themes. If they were free DLC there could also perhaps be more of them for us to pick from