Not enough USB ports for Time Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zach808, May 20, 2010.

1. Zach808 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook, and it only has 2 USB ports. My SuperDrive broke, so I have to use an external since I'm still a student (so I have an extremely tight budget). I have to use it to boot from the Mac OS X install dvd, so that's both my USB ports gone right there. And my Time Machine backup requires another USB port (since a Wifi drive is too expensive for me). Any way to have both of them running at the same time? I'm kind of a n00b at this.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Huh? How is this both of your usb ports? The external superdrive only needs one usb port and that's the same port you would use if you needed to boot from the install DVD. And normally you don't use the install DVD that often anyway.

So for normal running, you could have the external superdrive plus the time machine USB, which adds up to 2 usb ports. Where would you need another?

3. Zach808 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using some cheap Samsung disk drive I got off Amazon, and it needs 2 ports to work.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

this? google?

Attached Files:

5. FRiC macrumors member

The second USB port is only needed to provide additional current. Check if the drive has a power inlet for a power adapter instead.

6. miicah macrumors regular

But you don't need time machine and your DVD drive plugged in 24/7 so I don't see the problem here.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

There are several things you could do:

1. Buy a cheap USB hub.

2. Instead of plugging the external disk drive into 2 USB ports, only plug it into one and use a normal power soruce for the 2nd one.

3. Swap between the time machine and external drive when your not using one of them.