Not enough USB ports...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by barrett14, Dec 17, 2012.

1. barrett14 macrumors regular

What are my options if four USB ports aren't enough?

My devices are

1. Mouse
    2. Logitech Keyboard bluetooth doggle
    3. Speakers
    4. Wacom Tablet
    5. Headphone bluetooth doggle

Why do these bluetooth devices need somethign plugged into the USB port? Is there a way around that so they connect straight to the device like the apple keyboard and mouse?

2. Gelite55 macrumors regular

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Because they are (might) not (be) bluetooth, I know that Logitech is not bluetooth for a fact, it uses 433 MHz radio waves instead of bluetooth.

Just use a cheap USB hub.

4. Kirkle macrumors member

Are the devices you list as Bluetooth really Bluetooth devices? A Bluetooth mouse for example does not necessarily require a dongle (non-Bluetooth wireless devices almost always do): even a cheepy Bluetooth mouse might not require a dongle, but it depends. Another thing to bear in mind is that Logitech has unifying receivers so, assuming you plan it out ahead of time, you can get multiple devices on a single dongle.

As for hubs: small, low power, things (e.g. a mouse) will work perfectly well with a cheap USB 2 hub, but for some devices you might prefer a USB 3 hub (which are more expensive at this point).

In general though, the iMac doesn't really have enough ports (not just USB). Apple could design the iMac to have a row of ports running all along the back (keep Firewire and microphone-in, add HDMI In/Out, etc.); they will never do this (in fact, they seem to be moving in the opposite direction), but they could. An eSata port would be a nice touch...

5. HardcoreWally macrumors newbie

Ha! Just be careful how "cheap" the USB you buy is. I just purchased one that said it was USB 2.0. After noticing my first sync with my new iPad 4 was REAL slow, I got suspicious. System Profiler later showed me it was only operating at USB 1.0 speed! :mad:

6. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I bought a powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub. Powered hubs can charge devices, but not all of them, check the specs.

7. Siderz macrumors 6502a

8. mihai.ile macrumors member

9. BSoares macrumors regular

That's the one I got. Works great. 7 ports actually. It does have a small brick on the power cord, like laptops, but it's a long cord and can be hidden. It provides enough power to run all those devices with no issues. I have all ports used on mine and I actually have it hidden away from my desk, where I put printer, dock/lightining cables, blu-ray reader, etc. Then I have a single 15ft active USB 3.0 extension bringing that hub connection to the iMac on my desk.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

But why would you sync a device through a hub anyway? Use the hub for the mouse, keyboard and other stuff like that. If you need to sync an iOS or Memory stick always plug in direct! Also if you have any peripherals that don't seem to be working correctly, always plug them straight into your machine to trouble shoot. This is what any tech support will tell you.

11. hybroid macrumors regular

hybroid

12. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Hey, I just received one of those yesterday! Still no iMac to connect it to, alas.

----------

A GOOD hub will be fully compliant with USB specs and won't have a significant effect on performance when only one device is active.

A cheap crappy hub will cause no end of time-wasting problems. Pinching pennies is ok for some equipment, USB hubs aren't in that category.

13. tears2040 macrumors 6502

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Agree. I don't have any of my USB 3's in use at the moment. When I get a new printer there goes one. Still leaves me with plenty. I don't sink my iOS devices very often so will just use a port as needed. I guess some people drop £2k on a Mac and then buy a £5 USB hub and wonder why it's no good.

15. mihai.ile macrumors member

Why not use a network or even wifi printer instead? A lot easier to do printing from several devices while the printer sits somewhere out of sight.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Maybe I will. I haven't really looked into a printer (it's been an expensive month). I don't do a lot of printing but occasionally I do. Thats half the problem. By the time I come to use it the heads are all blocked from lack of use. I'll have a look in the January sales.

17. mihai.ile macrumors member

Because of this kind of use I am looking at the laser ones... No ink to dry anywhere.

18. skyenet, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

skyenet macrumors regular

skyenet

Yes, its got seven ports but only gives you six extra ports on your Mac, which is probably what Siderz meant. I have the same one but while it works with all my USB 2.0 stuff okay it was not happy with my Seagate USB 3.0 3TB expansion Hard Drive. Ended up having to connect that directly to a USB 3.0 port on the iMac itself.

Just tested the Hub connected to an external USB 3.0 housing fitted with a Seagate 750GB 2.5" SATA-II Momentus Hard Drive and it is working fine. So only the Seagate Expansion Drive that doesn't like it by the looks of things.

I placed my USB 3.0 Hub Under my desk beside a four port Ethernet switch. Keeps the wires out of the road and easy to get to.

[​IMG]