Not even able to make emergency calls?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idoit, Jul 7, 2014.

1. idoit macrumors newbie

I got an iPhone 5s model number ME349LL/A which is Verizon CDMA. It is iCloud locked. When attempting to call 112, it says "emergency calls only" !!!

Why is it so? I am surprised.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's probably a stolen phone. Only the person who setup the lock can unlock it.

3. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean I can't even call 112?!!!

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

If it's locked, and you did not request the lock; then you are the proud owner of a new iPod Touch with a kickin camera.

5. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the phone is on iCloud activation screen and when I go to emergency call and call 112, it doesn't work!!! That's the issue. One should at least be able to make emergency calls, eh? <- I'm from Canada.

I tried 911, 112, 999, none of them work! Any ideas?

6. DeltaMac, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Dialing 112 apparently doesn't work on CDMA phones from Verizon or Sprint.
    Your phone is designed to work in the US system, and doesn't support the European emergency numbers. Maybe you can try 911, which should work. I don't know if you will get a response in Canada, however.
    The calling system should redirect a 112 call to 911 in Canada, but if the Verizon phone won't allow it, then the only choice you have is 911 (probably)
    As always, unless you really do have an emergency, don't go calling emergency numbers just to test your phone (eh?)

Maybe someone else can chime in with a better answer about that.
    (maybe you can get your money back - must have been a cheap 5s!)

7. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Aaah, I asked Canada Post and other couriers in Canada, sending it back to the seller (overseas) will cost me 140$ !!! Oh boy, moral of my story, don't buy phones off eBay! :(

I'm curious, I still want to know the answer to this question and its possibility. Very weird, as according to regulations, any phone should be able to make 112 or 911 calls! May experts help me...

8. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried, on my iPhone 4, I can call 911 and 112. <- obviously, immediately, I disconnected as I just wanted to try if it works in Canada. It does in my iPhone 4 but in this 5s nooo! and it makes me wonder how come 911 doesn't work? O_O

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I expect that your interpretation of regulations is correct - but regulations mean nothing when the phone was not designed to be sold in a region where you happen to live.

You have a Verizon phone. Maybe you can get some good answers from your local Verizon store (oh - right! :D )

Just thought I should mention - I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but dial-then-hangup to 911, or simply a non-emergency call can get a hefty fine in places in the U.S.

10. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Based on reviews I read, I figured the Verizon CDMA iPhones are best for travellers (best coverage) as it doesn't need to be unlocked to be used for Non-US sim cards, that's why I got this one instead of one designated for Canada.

And right, there are no Verizon local stores hehehe :D

11. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Guess you learned now, eh? ;)

12. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha yes :)

Just called Verizon and they confirmed that if I were in US, 911 would work. 112 is not going to work with CDMA phones :(

Canadian fellows who have CDMA phones, what number do you use to call emergency?!!! There should be a number!

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You said you're Canadian, and don't know the emergency number? :confused:

FYI, it's 911 (even in Canada).

14. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Is it because you are trying to use an American phone in Canada? I'm not sure why else this phone wouldn't work but your iPhone 4 does. :confused:

15. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! I know, that's why I am surprised it does not work!

I am confused too. My iPhone 4 is from Telus, so it's Canadian. :)

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wait, you tested 911 by physically calling it? Isn't that illegal unless it's for a real emergency?

17. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Yes. You can also be fined.

18. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys read!!! It did not work. Also, even it did, there is an indicator saying "calling XYZ" as soon as that appear you can hang up and the call will not go through!!! Aargggghhhh :eek:

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If we read right, you did test it on iPhone 4. Even testing it at all is illegal regardless if it works.

20. idoit thread starter macrumors newbie

Dudes, I am now replying from prison!!! Don't do this kids. :)

21. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

When I had my first iphone, an AT&T iphone 3g, it would call 911 in canada without a sim card