Not even Safari is made for Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Politis, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Politis macrumors regular

It seems that NONE of the internet browsers have the Mac in mind. This creates problems.
    Safari is supposed to be THE browser for Macs. When I use it to open a webpage, Safari often fails to keep the formatting of the page. For example: some lines may overlap. Or some columns may overlap.
    So I fix this by increasing or decreasing the size of the page with a two finger slide on the track pad.
    But even then, on occasions this means that one part of the formatting on the page is fixed, but another part overlaps.
    For the money I paid, I don't expect to have to play with sizes every so often. I never had/have this problem with my ancient £300/$360 pc laptop.

I have a MacBook Pro 15'' from 2010. Its software stands pretty much as I bought it. Nothing added yet. Why the ding-dong-bell doesn't Mac with all its geniuses do something about this basic incompatibility?

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

No problems here. It sounds like the sites that you're visiting are poorly designed.

Also, in Safari's View menu, there's an option to 'Zoom Text only'. See if that helps.

3. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

The formatting of every website I've encountered has been fine.

That said, Google Chrome is a better browser anyway - much faster than Safari.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

No problems here on Firefox, everything displays just fine.
    I wouldn`t say the op`s an idiot, just mis-informed we all had to learn
    sometime.

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Don't have a go at Safari when it sounds obvious (to me) that the web designers are at fault here.

Every browser 'should' display pages correctly if standards and best practices are followed during the web design process.

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Point me towards one of the sites you are having problems with and I`ll try it on mine (in Safari) and see what happens for me.

7. Politis thread starter macrumors regular

ok here are links

Thanks to all ;). Just try some of the Facebook pages. Also http://www.athensairport-2001.gr/ just zoom in and out and watch the changes. Only Safari misbehaves for me.

By the way, AdeFowler, thanks for tip on 'zoom text only', tried it but did not work on the sites.

8. dwhynman macrumors regular

That link works fine for me in safari. I think your settings must be off.

9. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

this.

it works in my browsers fine (firefox, chrome and safari)

10. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

OK.
    Just tried FB and athens airport link you posted and TBH I can`t see a problem.
    It seems to zoom correctly and retain all the formatting correctly.
    Try Firefox and see if you have a similar problem.
    (I`m not a huge safari fan) Those sites also display fine on iPad using Safari.

11. iRase macrumors newbie

jep here too !

12. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

No problems here. Safari always plays nice for me. Maybe Safari has botched a setting somewhere. Try resetting Safari, Safari menu -> Reset Safari.

13. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

The link worked fine for me in safari (iPad). I better save the link since I'll be there in a few months, thanks :D

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Works fine for me too. You sure you havent increased or decreased font size without knowing? That will cause wacky pages to appear. Press 'command' + '+' or 'command' + '-' (minus) to change type size see what happens.

15. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

Woking fine for me . The only one thing mac misbehaves sometimes is due to flash .:D

16. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Just tried the link on Safari when zooming in. The title frame seems to be overlapped by the neighbouring frame. This doesn't happen in Opera or Firefox though. I'm still putting this down to page design. There are many pro's and con's (but more con's than pro's) to using frames and personally I'm not a great fan but it definitely looks like the page was not tested properly against Safari.

What I would suggest is to use another browser if a site doesn't function properly on your preferred browser (regardless of it being IE, Chrome, Opera, FF etc.).

Never had a problem with FB on Safari though.

17. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Much faster at draining the battery too ;)

No problems on my mac with safari either.

18. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

Works fine for me as well. Do you have any browser plugins installed? Also not really a big deal but I had a chuckle at the thread title as Safari (Webkit) is based on Konqueror from KDE/Linux. Konqueror now uses Webkit itself as does Chrome, Nokia S60 Web Browser, etc. It seems to work pretty well considering those guys could have just forked Firefox ;).

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Websites created with IE in mind often screw Safari's formatting. You can change to use the Google Chrome browser which has better compatibility and much faster.

20. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Just install a little app and you can dictate which graphic card to use - you can force the whole system to use the Intel graphics by one click.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The link works OK for me in Safari ... and ClickToFlash is blocking the Flash beautifully