Not every USB external enclosure accepts any size of HDs!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Riwam, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

When I sold my oMP I kept 3 internal HDs.
    Since the nMP I want to buy has no internal room for them, I intend to use them in external enclosures.
    As long as TB is too expensive for me and I do not need very high speed, USB will serve fine for me, at least for the time being.
    Having several old USB enclosures for SATA HDs, I thought that any of them would be suitable for that purpose.
    I then learnt and had to realize that USB enclosures are not equal to each other.
    Most old ones and probably some new ones will only accept HDs up to 2TB.
    My HDs of 3 and 4 TB were not recognized by any computer with a USB connection, since the controller of those enclosures (as far as I understand), is only suitable for "relative" small SATA HDs.
    I finally bought 3 USB3 enclosures of "Raidon" which accept those large HDs.
    Unfortunately the web sites of many manufacturers avoid stating this very important feature: maximum size of accepted SATA HDs.
    Therefore if you have to proceed like me and use external USB enclosures for the HDs you previously had inside an oMP, check if the USB enclosures you intend to buy accept the size of the SATA HDs you will put inside them.
    I hope this information is helpful for other members of this forum.

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

While I agree this is a problem for enclosures with older controller chipsets, you can always use multiple partitions each less than 2GB to circumvent the problem.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you are talking about 2.5" drives that can be bus powered, you only need a USB to SATA cable or a USB dock. You don't need to enclose the drive.