Not Falling Asleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.PS, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

My mac pro is set to go to sleep after 1 hour, yet it never does. Could ethernet activity be keeping it awake? Ichat and Colloquy are the only two connected applications when I step away from my computer. Neither of them as the disable sleep option enabled.

What can it be?

2. Lurgen macrumors newbie

Perhaps you should be grateful - whenever my Mac Pro sleeps, it either reboots after waking or (on the rare occassions it restarts correctly) can't burn DVDs/access my scanner/has random networking glitches.

3. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

It rebooted on me when I forced it to sleep then tried to wake it up. Thunderbird has been stopping it from falling asleep, I closed Thunderbird last night and it feel asleep normally and woke up normally.

4. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

My bittorrent client that won't let it sleep. Thankfully.

5. geon macrumors member

Mine wasn't going to sleep either, then I started to get rid of a few things: one was one of those 3rd party software things that told you the temperature of ram, hds, etc. Then it started to sleep again.

6. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

7. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope

8. Qjuu macrumors member

:eek: Are you implying that a Mac Pro doesn't sleep with a RAID card built in??!

9. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

That is exactly what I am sayin' ;)

10. Qjuu macrumors member

Oh noes.... :(
    I've never heard about that! Is it a bug or a (sort of) feature??

I'm toying with a Mac Pro & hardware Raid5. But if such a setup leads to a 24/7 running machine...this would be a no-go for me! Please, can you give me details? Is it a common problem?

11. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I don't think it's a problem I think it's how they work. I know mine never sleeps and Apple told me that's how it works.

12. Qjuu macrumors member

Thanks a lot for this information. Although it's a pity imo.... "every" simple NAS has powermanagement!