iPad mini Not feeling good after buying my first ipad, thoughts ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hady, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Hady macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, today i purchased an ipad mini retina, iv been thinking for a while to buy one but i couldnt really afored it. Im a very iphone heavy user guy i always text and surf the web and instgram and tumblr and stuff, i thought an ipad will give me a new experince but honestly im not comfortable with it till now that i think ill give it to my mom ! I just find my self holding my iphone and more happy to text and do things as i normally do! What do u guys use ur ipad for to make it useful ? Do u use ur iphone along side or just thr ipad ?

2. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Return it.

There is a lot of overlap if you have both an iPhone and an iPad - especially if you're thinking of upgrading to the 6/6+

I use one computer, and one "companion" device. I don't see a need to have a computer, notebook, tablet, and phone like some people do.

3. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

I use them side-by-side, my iPhone 5c and iPad mini. Works out very well for me. Use my iPhone for the usual stuff (safari, messages, etc.) and use the iPad for the more advanced things that use nor battery and processing, such as Pages, Keynote, etc. Works good. The problem I'm facing is selling the iPad because all the things I use it for, I can do on the iMac and do it better.

4. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Return it. If you could barely afford it, there's no point in trying to find things to use your iPad for. If you're more comfortable just using your iPhone then continue to just use it. I hate buying things that I don't even end up using, so return it while you can.

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I have both an iPhone 5 and an iPad Air and I use them for different things. When at home I hardly ever touch my iPhone. I for one can't do much on the iPhone due to the small screen. That's just a product of age and eye sight going south.

I use my iPad for posting to my WordPress blogs, some Pages documents, Soundboard for my podcasts, WatchESPN when I'm at my desk, other videos, games to take a break from work, Facebook, Twitter, news, RSS reader (Mr. Reader), NFL Now, web browsing (like at this exact moment), journaling with Day One, notes with Notesuite for podcast and blog ideas, calendar management with Fantastical and a host of other things. There's probably another 30-40 apps I use during the month but with less frequency.

I imagine once I get my iPhone 6+ I'll do some of these things on that, at least I hope so, so chances are I'll use my iPad a little less. But honestly I couldn't imagine not having an iPad at all.

In the end you have to make your own decision whether it's useful for you and whether financially it makes sense or not.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Other than text and calls, when I'm at home and want to do anything on the web/apps etc, I'm using the iPad Mini.

7. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Just the iPad. It's easier to check websites and read e-books on the iPad than the iPhone. The majority of my contacts are using iPhones, so I can send texts and receive texts from the iPad as well (and a few weeks after iOS 8 comes out we'll be able to send regular SMS texts through the iPad, as well).

My first iPad was a gift, and I'll admit that initially I didn't think I'd have a use for it. I had my phone and my laptop, and didn't think I'd need anything else. Over time I found uses for it, I suppose.

But if you're not feeling any benefit at all from it, that's perfectly fine. It's possible that the things you use your devices for are served very well by the phone, and that there's really no need for the iPad.

8. Hady thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello everyone thanks all for the reply ! The point is i live in a country where open products cant really be given back to the store unless they have a problem which is not my case :/ , altough i might give it to my mum if it stays the feeling of feeling it completly useless ! But what i would love for you guys is to tell me how can you use both devices ? It kinda feels comlicated and an effort to be using the two devices and switching between them! Am i right or is this just me tho ?

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Over time you discover that certain apps are easier or better to use on one of the two devices, and you start to only use those apps on that device. Or in some cases you discover an app that either was unusable or didn't exist on the iPhone, but works well on the iPad. There's a bit of self-experimentation involved.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well you could test for Image retention, yellow tints and other issues.

For me I have both iPad Mini Retina and Galaxy S5. I've owned every iPhone up to the 4S. After making the switch to the Android, looking back, the screen of the iPhone both 3.5 and the 4 inch is rather so small and it hurts my eyes and I could never go back to owning an iPhone. Each have their own pro's and con's.

I mainly use my iPad for games since it's bigger screen, for my phone, I just use it as a phone.

11. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

It's really great for watching Netflix and browsing the web. It's also good for doing some very cursory editing of photos out in the field.

Personally I am almost always on my ipad when I am at home, I dunno what I would do without it.

12. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

So you take all this time to buy without ever thinking of a use? Odd.

13. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Everyone's usage is different, but I think if you don't have an overwhelming need for an iPad, there's not a huge reason to get it. Some people get it because they have kids, some because they want a good e-reader, some for a nice media player when they travel. If you're just buying it just because or because you want a bigger iPhone, then it'll probably feel redundant to you because in many ways it is.

14. Hady thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes thats exactly the case! I wanted it "because" and it also looked so good, but when i got to the dayife usage it just feels more better to be on my one handed iphone feeling relaxed chating with my girlfriend, anyway thanks for all of you advice ! Iv downloaded some games and books from ibook, you never know i might find something intersting ! :D

15. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Possibly you have buyers remorse.

I hope you find adequate resolution. :)

16. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5 and an retina iPad mini. Both have separate uses. My phone is pretty much what a phone is supposed to do; used to call, text, check emails, listen to music. I usually go on Facebook or Instagram and play some Candy Crush. That's about it. For my iPad, it has a lot more games on it for me to play, a bunch of movies and music, over 100 books for me to read. I made sure that each device had a proper use and so far my method works great because I use both equally. My main reason for getting the rMini is because I used to read books on my iPhone and I didn't like the small screen size so I splurged on the rMini and I don't regret it. It all depends on the person. iPads aren't meant for everyone.

17. Lachhh macrumors regular

Return it.

If it's a device you have a legitimate usage scenario for you wouldn't have to ask others what they do on theirs to make it useful in the first place.

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Do yourself a favor and get your money back. No harm no foul.

No one has to have an iPad, hell no one has to have a cell phone. If you are happy doing things the way you have been doing them, stick with it.

----------

sorry to have to be blunt but you were rather the idiot for buying something you weren't positive you wanted without the safety net of being able to return it simply because you don't like it.

That said, still get rid of it. Give it to mom if she wants it, sell it second hand, whatever.

It is 'just you' but that's not a huge issue. You have the right to feel the way that you do. You don't have to like something just because Apple made it, because you have an iPhone etc. Anyone that claims otherwise is a jackass. It doesn't work for you, so get rid of it. And before you start to think that maybe the bigger iPhone is what you really should have, find a way to try it before you buy it and get stuck with it.

19. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I use my pad mini almost exclusively as a netflix and Xfinity viewer. It is indispensable to me for that use. I use it for movies and shows while cooking, knitting, or laying in bed. Mix that with the tablift tablet holder and it's the best thing ever.

It's especially useful during football season. He can watch the 49ers while I stream a show. Everyone's happy.

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Like others, I also always use the ipad when am at home and not the iphone.

21. mmp1964 macrumors newbie

One of the reasons I bought an iPad was to give my phone a break and extend its life, which I guess somewhat proves your point. Also to extend battery life during trips.