Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
I am intensely irritated. I finally decided to try out the digital audio on my MBP and it seems to only be outputting stereo signals. My receiver (Panasonic SA-XR25) is configured correctly and automatically detects 5.1, DTS, etc from my DVD player, but regardless what I set DVDs to on my MBP, it is only outputting a stereo signal. I am using a proper mini to optical cable. Someone enlighten me.

NKAWTG

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
Try VLC also

I've had this problem on occassion, but only with the Apple supplied DVD player. For some reason, it sometimes won't output the 5.1, but when I use VLC for my player, it will.

I just usually check the settings in the system preferences tab as well as the app preferences to double check the output is DD5.1. Sometimes ejecting the disc and reinserting it helps with Apple's DVD player to output correctly.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Got it, thanks. Didn't even think to have to change my DVD player prefs. I assumed it was set correctly because audio was still outputting through the optical line, but I guess not. It's all good now. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.