not getting any audio when connecting my macbook to the tv

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mel2687, Jan 23, 2010.

1. mel2687 macrumors newbie

Hi

I hope someone can help me.
    I have a macbook white 13inch which i am trying to connect to my samsung tv.

I have all the correct cables, a mini dvi to hdmi, and hdmi to hdmi.
    I also have an audio cable (3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Phono Stereo Audio Cable).

Once all connected i get the picture great but i have no audio and i have no idea why????????

If anyone has any solutions or anything i can do i would appreciate it soo much.

Cheers x

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

What exactly are you connecting the pair of RCA phono plugs to?

3. mel2687 thread starter macrumors newbie

The phono plugs are going into the audio in sockets on my tv

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

In the "DVI IN" sockets? If so, I can't see why it is not working.

5. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Can you temporarily re-connect the phono plugs into a HiFi to see where the problem is?

Or: It could be the audio-in on your TV is switched along with with the component-in or video-in (and NOT HDMI-in). Can you try selecting all the other inputs on the TV, to see if you get sound (and no picture)?

6. mel2687 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it appears i may have both i think.

I do have dvi audio in

and i also have normal audio in i think all part of componant sockets is it? with 5 sockets a2 are audio in?

im very confused sorry!!!

help!!!

7. mel2687 thread starter macrumors newbie

how would i switch the audio ins? do you mean on the settings on the tv?

8. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Yes, switch the TV through all possible inputs (HDMI, component, composite, S-Video, PC, SCART, DTV, ... what have you, etc.), while your Mac is playing something. You should see picture on HDMI-in (as you do now) and maybe hear audio on some OTHER input setting on the TV.

9. mel2687 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok ill try and do that, but do i have the right cable am i connecting it to the right sockets?

10. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Yes, the adapters and cables you have seem OK.

I believe the "problem" lies with your TV (or any TV): if you switch to HDMI-in, the TV expects the video and audio both to come down the HDMI cable. Your Mac can only send the video down DVI/HDMI.

As suggested, try switching the TV through all possible inputs - see where the audio comes in...

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

There's a cable available from monoprice that connects to the dvi on the mac and also to USB for audio. The output is a single HDMI plug, which would fix the issue if it's the TV expecting audio from the hdmi cable.

12. mel2687 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions but i still clueless LOL i dnt really understand all this technical talk.

i have tried to switch the audio i think.....but i got no sound at all

do the wires into the componant's red and white or dvi audio in or somewhere else?

i appreciate all the help!!!

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Switching the Video signals won't do it.

OP. Do you have a "menu" for your TV?

If so set the video part to HDMI and look for an "Audio" menu. If you have one there should be a selection for "RCA Jacks". Select that.

I Connect my MBP via minidisplay port to HDMI and I send my audio out on the MBP to the stereo in on the tv.

you might have more than one stereo input on the TV. Make sure it's the right one.

Hunt and peck until you get sound.

14. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

More detailed information on your devices may help

@mel2687 - are you able to post the exact make/model of the Samsung TV?

I think if we could look-up the exact make/model, we could read a spec sheet on it and give better advise on the set-up and capabilities of the TV. It may be that the TV will not let audio input from anywhere outside of the HDMI cable, as mooblie and old-wiz have suggested.

For example :

I use my Mac mini DVI - HDMI on a Vizio VL260M which has a L/R audio input option that coincides with the HDMI in. I snapped a quick pic of it, so you could compare it to your TV inputs.

[​IMG]

A pic would be helpful too, if you can't find the exact make/model of your TV.

:)

15. mel2687 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi I have 2 tvs so ive uploaded pics of both :)

the first pic is from a goodmans 32inch hd ready tv - dnt know the exact model.

the second 2 pics are from my samsung le32a457 hd ready tv.

hope this helps, so im putting the jack into the microphone socket on my mac? and then putting the red and black other two into which audio bits??

also do i have to change any settings on my mac for audio out or tv?

thanks everyone :) !!!!

Attached Files:

16. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

No, you are going to plug the jack into the headphone output. When looking at the mini, from behind, it's the furthest hole to the right. The microphone is an audio INPUT and the headphone is an audio OUTPUT. See the picture below, for reference.

[​IMG]

17. thomanjones macrumors regular

Might need to change the sound input on the TV to Analog, if that's even an option (check the TV menu under sound or inputs)- Some TVs have 1 HDMI port with RCA jacks next to it (that's what it looks like in your picture as well).

Mac headphone jack to 1/8" - RCA cable (Y cable- headphone plug on one end, red/white plugs on the other end) to the HDMI input that has Analog audio option.

Brute force method: fire up itunes, play all (so that there is constant audio out from the Mac), then try each and every set of red/white plugs on the back of the TV. If NONE play any sound, then it's definitely a TV setting that needs to be changed.

Now, if your TV does not have a combo analog sound/HDMI connection, then I recommend This MDP to HDMI converter w/ USB sound. That is what I use for my HTPC setup, and I'm really liking it. Also, once everything is up and running, Check out PLEX :)

18. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Love the look of that, I'll suggest that, next time I have someone that needs the HDMI with only DVI out solution. User friendly set up?