Not getting option to migrate to another Mac in Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'macOS' started by david77, Aug 1, 2008.

1. david77 macrumors regular

SSIA .. I'm trying to migrate info from an iBook G4 to an iMac, but I'm not getting an option to migrate to another Mac in the Migration Assistant. Any reason(s) why? Simple setting maybe?

Thanks for any help.

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Is it a brand new out of the box Mac never been setup??

If not, then to run Migration Assistant you'll have to go into Utilities > Migration Assistant...

Also, are you going from a PPC iBook to an Intel iMac?? because Migrate Assitant is very tempermental between the two..

3. david77 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont think I was clear in what I was asking ...

I understand how to start the Migration Assistant. My issue is that when I use the Migration Assistant on the iBook, I don't get an option to send the info to another computer. My only options are receive info from another Mac. And yes, I am trying to go from a PPC to an Intel iMac.

Thanks for the quick response.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think there's ever been an option to send info, only ever to retrieve it. Run migration assistant on the other Mac and pull the info over.

5. 4get2remember macrumors newbie

Hi david77,

Did you ever have any luck transferring your files over? I'm in the exact same boat...my PowerBook G4 does not give me an option in migration assistant to transfer my files from it to my new Mac...any help would be greatly appreciated...

6. downidb macrumors newbie

I just had the same problem, no 'to another mac' option. I did update to the latest version of Mac OS X, but still no luck. Then I noticed a software update for Migration and DVD/CD something or nother. That did the trick, 'to another mac' became an option.