Not getting sound with MBP into HDMI to my TV...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by miamialley, Dec 21, 2009.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have a MBP and am using:

Mini display port DVI adapter --> DVI to HDMI cable --> into my TV's HDMI port.

I get no sound out of my TVs speakers. I thought I could sound via HDMI this way (that's what I was told). I have an optical audio out going from my TV to my stereo 5.1 receiver. Why can I hear no sound? Did I misunderstand something? Do I need to do something else to have sound? Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's because Apple does not pass thru sound via their display port. So even if you have a mini display to HDMI you need a mini toslink for optical sound.

3. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Sorry, but can you elaborate on that for me. I'm not clear on exactly what I need in order to have video and sound.

4. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

You would need another cable going from your headphone jack into your TV. Like a TOSlink cable --> optical in or Stereo headphone jack --> RCA. Look on your TV and see what your HDMI input has for an alternate sound input jack.

5. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

My TV has one audio out digital jack. Right now, I have a cable going from that port (digital audio out) from my tv to my surround sound receiver. So I need an optical cable (?) to go from my headphone jack to where exactly?

6. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

7. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

First off you would not be going from the "out" on your TV you would be going to an "in". What model tv do you have maybe we can help you better if you give us that information.

8. cube macrumors G5

You don't need an optical in in the TV, if you have another free optical in in the receiver. Then you switch the receiver input between TV and computer.