Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hausjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
I recently bought a Macbook from them. I also decided to get Parallels from them, as I saw a big banner that said "Free Parallels! with Mac Orders"

This of course is false advertising, as when checking out, I noticed it wasn't free, it was actually a rebate. So I filled out the rebate form and attached a copy of the packing slip and upc exactly as their instructions required.

And of course I received a letter stating they were unable to process my rebate as the information was "not accurate or complete."

And this is why I always avoid rebate scams. Well, almost always.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well, first a rebate is not a scam and upon adding Parallels to my cart, I can see that I am paying for it. I would have called them upon seeing that because it does indeed say free and leaves no reference to a footnote about there being a rebate. In that case, you weren't scammed because you saw that it added $49.99 to your total and you opted to pay without inquiring.

Now, it would be nice if they wrote "free with rebate" so you know you have outgo, but that is just how things work.

As for you getting the letter, did you bother to call them? I assume there is a reason for their letter and that it is something you can clear up. MacMall is not some fly by night operation. They're not always awesome but they do have live people working in a B&M store that you can likely call. I assure you, your thread will serve the purpose of venting but it will not serve the purpose of getting your money back from their rebate program.

hausjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
It's not so much a vent (maybe a little) as putting it out there for others to see. It's not really about the money for me. I am not going to spend hours on the phone to chase down $50 I will probably never see. If it was $500, or even $100, I might.

I did send them an email, that I don't really expect a response to. And I don't really have any recourse, as I didn't make copies for myself. Since it was all copies, I could try again. But I suspect I will just get another letter.

This isn't the first time I have followed a rebate form to the letter, and gotten nothing for my troubles. And that's why I call them scams.

hausjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Thank you for contacting MacMall.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Upon careful review we found that your order was indeed qualified for the rebate promotion. We’ll have this manually processed and issue a check. Kindly disregard any automated denial letter you received.

I wonder how many people just throw away the letter, which looks very much like junk mail, and forget all about the rebate. But, at least they ultimately did the right thing.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I wonder how many people just throw away the letter, which looks very much like junk mail, and forget all about the rebate. But, at least they ultimately did the right thing.

Yet you make a thread calling them a scam and all it took was a simple email to fix it.....:rolleyes:

Did the right thing? They didn't do anything wrong to begin with.'

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Two things - get over it and move on!

I'm on your side, OP. Last year I bought a rMBP from MacMall and a couple of peripherals. And, a copy of Parallels 8! The copy of Parallels never showed up, and I was offered a credit, which I declined. I finally got my bank involved, filing a fraud application and they credited my account. MacMall finally ponied up the money to my account, but it was a MPITA to deal with.

FWIW, Parallels is one of those companies that makes this "upgrade" discount push about this time of year, then issues a new version in June or July. I guarantee you'll see the next version of Parallels Desktop in 90 days or less. Parallels should just advertise subscriptions.

And, FWIW, I'm still using Parallels 8 on Mavericks using a licence I've had for some time - the MacMall deal would have been for an additional licence. And, Parallels 9 was announced just a few weeks after my rMBP was delivered. I've also seen Parallels 8 advertised on Amazon for less than MacMall's pricing.

Yes, you're right. I called MacMall a few weeks ago, asked to speak to a manager. I told her that my small company bought 8 Mac laptops and bought some accessories, and that the $50 fiasco I encountered in early 2013 kept me from buying from them again. Evidently, they don't give a ***** about some of their customers and are still playing that game.

Parallels 10 will be out soon, and you would have spent $50 bucks to upgrade anyway. Have a drink, and never buy from MacMall again!

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
MacMall is good standing behind their rebates. I had lost some rebates checks a couple of times and they re-send them after an contacted customer service. Additionally typically the companies that offer this type of rebates are keeping good accounting records and before April 15 due to their taxes they will send a reminder letter or new check.
Whatever you needed to provide to claim the rebate there is a record in your order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.