Not happy with my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maguire, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Maguire macrumors member

I received my new 15" MBP (Previous Generation) and I'm so disappointed so far. :confused: I am coming from the original 17" PowerBook G4 1 GHz with 512 mb of ram :apple:

1. The CD/DVD drive is REALLY loud.
    2. It just doesn't seem to be fast, I was expecting a noticeable difference.
    3. Even though it came with a 250 GB HD and I don't have anything else on it (Migration Assistant failed) it says there are only 212 GB free. Does the system take up that much space? My PB only has a 55 GB hard drive w/25 GB free (iTunes is on an external HD)

If I return it am I going to get hit with a restocking fee?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's a little early to be thinking about that, but, yes, obviously.

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

The operating system does take up quite a bit of space, you can use monolingual to remover all other languages apart from the one you want to keep. Or do a re-install and remove the languages and additional printer drivers.

Yes I agree the Super Drive is quite loud, but thats just it, I find my machine very quick an snappy much better then alot of XP machines I use. Although my friend has a top of the line Dell XPS which really is quick and is about the same specs, although he has 4GB of ram and a better graphics card.

Try and hold out and see how you like the machine? What would you replace it with out of curiosity?

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

That sucks. Is it loud with all disks?

What are you running? How much RAM do you have?

If you're running your old PowerPC apps under Rosetta, then it's time to download all the universal updates.

Something is wrong here - the Core2 duos are insanely fast compared to the G4.

Is this a dealbreaker?

For a start you're comparing 212GBi with 250GB (read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte )

As someone who's got by using 20GB(i) of space, is 'only' 212 GB(i) a big deal?

5. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

Also, Its pretty well known that Leopard isn't nearly as efficient as it should be.. Apple has promised to fix this with Snow Leopard.. Not only does Leopard take up way more space then it should, I also found it slower then Tiger in several ways..

As for the HDD, you can always upgrade it very easily for a much faster or much larger drive.. Hell, the top of the line 7200 drive is <$90

6. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

A Hard Drive sold as 250 GB really only has a capacaity of 232 GB. If you have 212GB free, then you've used 20GB. You have a lot of space left.

7. Maguire thread starter macrumors member

After letting my MBP sit in the corner overnite, I just now picked it up again. I am transferring my iTunes folder from my external HD right now. Next I will transfer the rest of my files over from my PB. I guess I need to give it some more time before I decide to send it back.

Don't know how I used 20GB, as up to that point it was factory fresh.

Thanks for the info Fidgetyrat.

I guess not, I just thought the jump from 55 to 250 would take away all my HD space problems.

I would probably just keep using my PB until it dies, which may be sooner rather than later.

:(

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

There was a link posted above about hard drive sizes. Since day 1 hard drive labels have been advertised a bit differently than reality. What a couple of people have tried to tell you is that a 250GB hard drive really only physically has around 232GB of space. So the 20GB of space that you don't know how you used is actually the operating system and all of the software that comes preloaded on the laptop.

I'm not sure how you could possibly be worried about hard drive space when you have many multiples of your previous amount at your disposal.

And I do not understand how you can complain about performance when you moved from a G4 up to a Core2. There is simply no comparison, even with the OS differences.