"Not having screen/audio problems" might be based on perception

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DsurioN, Sep 15, 2007.

1. DsurioN macrumors regular

DsurioN

You know, some people are saying they have problems with their screens, and others say their ipod touches work just fine. Maybe those who aren't reporting any problems are just less sensitive to the issue / don't have anything to compare it to to really notice. Same goes for the audio. Some might have better hearing than others or might just be used to crappy mp3 player sound quality to really notice. So just a word of caution when you assume that your ipod is "just fine".

2. volumecontrol macrumors newbie

OR, it means that only some of the touches are afflicted by these problems. Duh.

3. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

So if an ipod displays no issues, and appears to be working normal, it's probably screwed up?

Got it.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

am i the only one who knows what the op is getting at? sheesh

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

i get it

I understand what you are saying and for one don't think you are an idiot. I think there are alot of people out there freak'n out right now over this whole thing. Granted, its obvious there are some problems, however, it will be interesting to see an official response from Apple if there is one about this.

I stopped talking on the forums for about 8 hours today and when I came back I felt alot better about my touch. Listening to people talk about how crappy theirs are will certainly make you turn an incredibly critical eye at yours (as it should, however, there is def. a line here because its not a miracle machine, and this could be the way it was supposed to be). The truth is no one knows whats going on right now and we will def. see what happens in the future.

I would like to hear a post from someone whom returned theirs and could see and night and day diff between the two. Again, I'm not pointing fingers here or saying people are incorrect in there assumptions, but I do believe that are some nervous people out there jumping the gun on this... certainly not most... just some.

Anyone have a word on the diff between the two models they had?

Thanks,
    Arisian

6. caMi macrumors regular

No, I completely understand what the OP is saying. I agree.

7. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I think it would be interesting to see a "Good" iPod Touch and a "Bad" iPod Touch side by side. Now, I wonder why no one has actually taken a photo of a supposed "Good" Touch to diffuse this possibility.

Regardless, I don't watch a whole lot of media with dark scenes, so it won't make a difference to me.

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Like I said

So do you guys feel that if Apple doesn't respond to this that it wasnt a problem. I lived in China for quiet a while and I know what kinda crap is produced there. I used to go to the electronics market all the time and just buy junk that I knew would break with in 4 months just to get rid of my 'I need to buy some electronics' itch (when its all .$.50 I could afford this).

Thus, my stated question(s) is/are:

1. Do you think Apple will respond to this, even if there is no problem?
    2. If apple doesn't respond, does that mean there was no problem and the units are what they
    3. If there is a problem, how will they go about dealing with it, esp for people whom bought theres at a store like best buy, restocking fees included?

Please let me know what you all think

Thanks,
    Arisian

9. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

1. Apple will most likely need to respond to this, especially if it's a hardware problem.
    2. The problem is obviously there if you've seen some of these photos, but there's a possibility that it's actually a faulty codec or something which could be fixed via software update.
    3. There would most likely be an exchange of some sort, like with recalled batteries in the past. However, it could be software (faulty codec) which could be patched via software update easily.

10. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

codec

lets hope its the latter (codec issue)...

Cheers

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Mine is great. Only complaint is that the colors are a touch too rich. Blacks are free of backlight ghoasting and colors do not bleed into the black.

I am am a motorsports photographer that works with calibrated monitors, qnd i am damn picky about my blacks!

I don't work with audio much, but the sound is as clear and chrisp as is my 3rd gen iPod.

I don't doubt that some have problems, but let's not assume that others are lying or ignorant if they see nothing wrong!

Replying from touch now.

12. BII macrumors member

the sound on mine was just as good as my 2gen nano, and the screen WAS fine, and suddenly its all jacked up. there is a 1.1 upgrade though, so we'll see how that works out.

13. isaac17 macrumors member

I work with audio a LOT, and hear absolutely 0 hiss. However, I do get the negative colors on certain movies, most of which aren't the best rips... I'm really starting to think it's a software thing with certain shades of black. Some shades of pitch black (IE, the background on the main screen) are perfectly fine, where as the opening scene of Oceans 13 looks TERRIBLE.

Meh, apple always comes through, don't worry too much.

14. calculus Guest

calculus

No... he means that you are.;)