Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
The CPUs aren't going to massively improve until low-power quad cores get released by Intel early next year, which is probably going to be the time USB3 gets introduced into the iMac line. Not sure whether they'll even bother with FW3200 though and ExpressCard is also very unlikely IMO.

I'm just curious, what don't you like about the CPU's? I know you say they are low end, but I was really pleased when I saw the update.
Core i5 would be the minimum for such a "premium" product, even in the lowest end. I know its only dual-core but even so. Core i3 is not much of an improvement over C2D, which is ancient. ExpressCard would allow some flexibility (esata, usb3, sound cards, etc..) at little cost to Apple. I don't think Apple has abandoned FW and we will see FW3200 or at least FW1600 in the near future.

OP, you don't want premium analog output on a computer-based DAC. You want digital to a premium outboard DAC.

i understand completely and i agree as well,all those inputs would nearly impossible to fit and thus impossible to cater to everyones needs.that i can agree with.since this is true why not just have a very discrete expansion port so people can add a port or two to their choosing?ik obviosuly that wouldnt work for alot of the ports you listed but it would for some

AKA, ExpressCard.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Core i5 would be the minimum for such a "premium" product, even in the lowest end. I know its only dual-core but even so. Core i3 is not much of an improvement over C2D, which is ancient. ExpressCard would allow some flexibility (esata, usb3, sound cards, etc..) at little cost to Apple. I don't think Apple has abandoned FW and we will see FW3200 or at least FW1600 in the near future.

OP, you don't want premium analog output on a computer-based DAC. You want digital to a premium outboard DAC.

i5 "Clarkdale" is minor upgrade over i3. It features higher clock speed and 266MHz Turbo, nothing interesting IMO. They start at 176$, 20 bucks more gets you i5-750 which runs circles around any Clarkdale.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
i dont want optical out,i want super audio out you know the kind that are gold tipped and cost more than you can afford.

I'm waiting for the next update. SHould have super audio AND super video.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Core i5 would be the minimum for such a "premium" product, even in the lowest end. I know its only dual-core but even so. Core i3 is not much of an improvement over C2D, which is ancient.
I think it's the cost of the mobile i5 variants that have prevented them doing that. The i3 may only be a slight improvement over the C2D but it's roughly the same cost, and does have the Hyperthreading advantage for another small speed boost. The discrete graphics chip will see the biggest advantage over the previous 21.5" generation at the low end.

I was surprised not to see the i5 dual as the base in the 27" though, with the quad in the high-end.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Would the i5-750 TDP work for the 21.5"? Its 95w, right? I just feel Apple is being cheap again.

Yeah, it's 22W more than Clarkdale but it was just a note. If i5 was used, it would make the CPU price difference between low-end and high-end only 30 bucks which would be ridiculous. The i3-540 costs 133$, just like E7600 did so Apple isn't being any cheaper than they were. They love the profit, we know that :D

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Yeah, it's 22W more than Clarkdale but it was just a note. If i5 was used, it would make the CPU price difference between low-end and high-end only 30 bucks which would be ridiculous. The i3-540 costs 133$, just like E7600 did so Apple isn't being any cheaper than they were. They love the profit, we know that :D
Absolutely. :D 35% margins don't grow on trees.

Even from a marketing perspective, however, having i5 in the specs helps elevate the status of the unit even if the performance is not a huge world away. Everyone and his dog knows i3 is the Walmart special these days. I'm also not sure about using the 4670 in the low-end. Again, from a marketing perspective, a lower 5-series would be better, even if it performed worse.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
im not saying the sound is horrible and unacceptable,im just saying for a 2000 dollar comptuer i expected just a tiny bit more

Its no use having a big connector on what is a basically regular/mainstream Amp in the computer. the headphone jack is fine for that.

And if you are really serious you will use an external Amp for the signal, which will work with the optical output.

But for the analog signal from the Mac, headphone is totally fine.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I was kind of hoping for a matte screen option and BD drive on this refresh but knew that the chances were slim at best.

I'm still puzzled by the elimination of the only non glossy monitor available... hasn't Apple learned their lesson with the backlash against gloss displays on the MBP that forced them to finally offer it in matte?

My 2.93ghz 24" iMac with 4850 is still doing pretty well, but I have to decide if I want to sell it (can still get about $1200 for it) and get into an i7 box.

Elysian

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
I'm still puzzled by the elimination of the only non glossy monitor available... hasn't Apple learned their lesson with the backlash against gloss displays on the MBP that forced them to finally offer it in matte?

Most people don't bring their iMacs outside or to coffee shops, so sunlight glare isn't much of an issue. Unless I'm misinformed why people were complaining?

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
I was kind of hoping for a matte screen option and BD drive on this refresh but knew that the chances were slim at best.

My 2.93ghz 24" iMac with 4850 is still doing pretty well, but I have to decide if I want to sell it (can still get about $1200 for it) and get into an i7 box.

Good for you mate! glad you got so much for your imac.

Im also puzzled why they don't offer a matt display. Some parts of the day in my office the glossy monitor is so hard to work with, oh well.

The glossy is good for other things though

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Good for you mate! glad you got so much for your imac.

Im also puzzled why they don't offer a matt display. Some parts of the day in my office the glossy monitor is so hard to work with, oh well.

The glossy is good for other things though

The panel itself is very glossy so it wouldn't help much if Apple removed the glass and called that matte

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
oh i just saw a DIY matt screen on the forums some time ago, and i mean if some dude can do it, then i bet apple can.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007

AKA, ExpressCard.

Look at the benchmarks I have posted here. The core i3 literally destroys the C2D line. A significant improvement. The difference between the Core i3 and i5 is not much at all.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901

The Core i3 is clearly the winner here.For price vs performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901/16

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2010/2010052401_Core_i3-550_mini-review.html

Tests for the entry level i3 540 of the base mac.
Not a performance improvement?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...540-clarkdale-lga1156-processor-review-7.html

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Its no use having a big connector on what is a basically regular/mainstream Amp in the computer. the headphone jack is fine for that.

And if you are really serious you will use an external Amp for the signal, which will work with the optical output.

But for the analog signal from the Mac, headphone is totally fine.

Hi,

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to when he says "Super Audio". Do you?

I do think that a Digtal Audio Converter using an optical cable is a better way to listen to music from a computer, but this is assuming that the audio tracks are not MP3 files. Otherwise, garbage in garbage out.

This is a pretty good Tube DAC for $225 http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_Tube_DAC-09
But if you're just playing MP3's through to a home theater in a box system it isn't worth the bother.

I have to agree with you that the headphone out is certainly 'good enough' in today's music listening world.

s.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Most people don't bring their iMacs outside or to coffee shops, so sunlight glare isn't much of an issue. Unless I'm misinformed why people were complaining?

Oh really?

vwzdp.jpg

Full story: http://gizmodo.com/5429732/you-have-nothing-to-apologize-for-panera-bread-imac-man

:D

But yeah, the glare isn't a big deal. I've had glossy screens since 2007 and ive used them in various rooms and conditions and never found it hard to deal with. If you absloutley must place your computer right by a window get some black out curtains and you'll be fine.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Look at the benchmarks I have posted here. The core i3 literally destroys the C2D line. A significant improvement. The difference between the Core i3 and i5 is not much at all.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901

The Core i3 is clearly the winner here.For price vs performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901/16

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2010/2010052401_Core_i3-550_mini-review.html

Tests for the entry level i3 540 of the base mac.
Not a performance improvement?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...540-clarkdale-lga1156-processor-review-7.html

Looks like the i3 is a decent improvement then. Just my prejudice holding me back. :D

I still stand by the assertion that it looks low-end where Apple is trying to project the machine as premium. I understand Steve's lust for cash, however. Its made Apple a great success.

Man-Droid

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Tampa, Fl
Oh really?

vwzdp.jpg

Full story: http://gizmodo.com/5429732/you-have-nothing-to-apologize-for-panera-bread-imac-man

:D

But yeah, the glare isn't a big deal. I've had glossy screens since 2007 and ive used them in various rooms and conditions and never found it hard to deal with. If you absloutley must place your computer right by a window get some black out curtains and you'll be fine.
HA! I never saw those. Can he not afford internet after dropping money on that iMac?

Wasn't there a similar story of a guy that set up an Xbox360 at a Starbucks?

skcrane

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
new i5 quad or i7 quad refurb

which to get does it make sense to get the better video card and 1033 or the i7 quad refurb for $300 cheaper. what do you think. The review of the i5 quad from macworld will be out tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.