Not impressed with TV+

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I seem to have a lot of issues in getting content to play.

Watching on a TV 4K device. All my purchased content plays fine and straight away.

However any content I try and play that is part of TV+ takes a LOT of attempts to get it to play.

If I try and play anything I get this message.

It takes several attempts. (Up to 15) for it to play. Once I get something to play it plays ok for a bit (around 10mins) then stops.

It’s not the network as all my other stuff plays fine. I’m also connected via and Ethernet cable and Speedtest shows I’m getting the 300mbps I should be.

I’ve logged out/in and even reset my TV 4K and logged it all in again. But nothing helps.

Any ideas?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Same thing happens on my 11 Pro Max, IPP 10.5 & 2019 MBP.

It’s really annoying.

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Watching on a TV 4K device. All my purchased content plays fine and straight away.

However any content I try and play that is part of TV+ takes a LOT of attempts to get it to play.

It takes several attempts. (Up to 15) for it to play. Once I get something to play it plays ok for a bit (around 10mins) then stops.

It’s not the network as all my other stuff plays fine. I’m also connected via and Ethernet cable and Speedtest shows I’m getting the 300mbps I should be.

I’ve logged out/in and even reset my TV 4K and logged it all in again. But nothing helps.

Any ideas?
I had the same problem with some of the shows. Like you it took 2 - 3 tries to get them to play. Must be a server permission problem on Apple's side.

danny842003

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
My guess is it’s an issue with their server and this being a new service.
probably another perk of them giving out a year free trial is they get to test the system with real life demand, even if you’re annoyed now they still have 12 months to win you round when they iron out the bugs.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Any ideas?
I’ve had a few issues with Apple TV myself. My home gives me 400mbps so I’m thinking it’s the Apple TV itself. All my smart TVs, Gaming devices and computers work fine.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
I get this message with all sorts of apps. It usually happens due to this:

1. I blocked certain servers from Apple to stop updates and it causes a failure sometimes.

2. I use a remote app on another phone that if I get ahead of myself and tap the play icon and then immediately shut the phone down to sleep before the ATV catches the command this same error pops up

3. I blocked the Netflix autoplay domains to avoid the autoplay videos while browsing and it makes the app crash with this error.

It's a generic "can't load data from server" message. It's not an ATV+ issue, it happens across many apps including Netflix and Hulu. It's random, seems to never happen mid-video (thank goodness) and always works the second time.

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
White Mntns, Arizona
I get this message with all sorts of apps. It usually happens due to this:

1. I blocked certain servers from Apple to stop updates and it causes a failure sometimes.

2. I use a remote app on another phone that if I get ahead of myself and tap the play icon and then immediately shut the phone down to sleep before the ATV catches the command this same error pops up

3. I blocked the Netflix autoplay domains to avoid the autoplay videos while browsing and it makes the app crash with this error.

It's a generic "can't load data from server" message. It's not an ATV+ issue, it happens across many apps including Netflix and Hulu. It's random, seems to never happen mid-video (thank goodness) and always works the second time.
You can stop Netflix previews from auto playing now by logging into your account on the Netflix website and unchecking the option in Playback settings in Account options.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
I don't update my apps so I don't get that 'feature' plus I heard there are exceptions. I only keep it for the originals I like and I'm fresh outta seasons so I hold out some hope it gets ATV app integration by then.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Perhaps updating your thread title to 'Problems with Apple TV' would help' as you present title just seems like you started yet another thread on the dislike for Apple TV.

Personally, I have not yet received this error although I am confident that I will at some point.